The Alzheimer's Association is the world's leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research. We are the largest private funder of Alzheimer research and the premier source of information and support for the more than 5 million Americans with Alzheimer's disease and their 15 million families and caregivers.
The Greater Maryland Chapter located in Timonium, Maryland, is seeking a Volunteer Manager. This position provides leadership and direction for the Volunteer Program at the Alzheimer’s Association and is responsible for recruiting, interviewing, placing, training, and managing volunteers in all areas of work within the Association’s care and support, development, and administrative departments. This position reports to the Program Director and is based in Timonium, MD.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Strategic Volunteer Recruitment
- Update and implement a volunteer outreach and recruitment strategy to meet chapter needs:
- Expand the number of Alzheimer’s Association volunteers by actively recruiting, screening, onboarding and managing Community Educators, Alzheimer’s.
- Association Community Representatives, support group facilitators, advocates, and other community volunteers following Association procedures.
- Provide guidance and direction to care and support staff on approaches to successful recruitment, retention, and recognition of volunteers with a focus on serving rural, diverse, and underserved communities.
- In collaboration with the Development team, recruit, train, and manage volunteers for planning committees and day-of event volunteers for six Walks and Memory Ball, and Chapter administrative services.
- Work with public policy and development leads to remain up to date on volunteer needs in those areas; ensure an effective system of communication to hand off these volunteers to appropriate departments.
Volunteer Management and Operations
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships, working relationships, and a referral base through networking with other professionals, community organizations, and businesses in order to identify prospective volunteers.
- Manage the volunteer database systems.
- Work with program staff to monitor and analyze service data to identify gaps in delivery and identify opportunities for program expansion.
- Record and maintain required documentation for all volunteers; prepare reports as needed on hours of service and related data.
- Develop and maintain volunteer referral materials and brochures following Association guidelines.
- Manage requests for Association participation at community outreach events, such as health fairs, volunteer fairs, and wellness fairs and coordinate schedules of volunteers and staff to cover events appropriately.
- Represent the Alzheimer’s Association at public forums, community events, and conferences.
- Lead internal planning committee for volunteer recognition events.
- Assist in promoting agency programs and services.
- Maintain the Chapter’s presence on relevant volunteer recruitment websites and local volunteer programs.
- Assist in Chapter event activities and other assignments as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, marketing, or a related field or comparable experience in volunteer coordination or human resources.
- A minimum of 3 years experience recruiting, training and supervising volunteers.
- Knowledge of volunteer networks and volunteer recruitment strategies.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite and ability to learn and use constituent relationship management software.
- Must be able to travel outside of normal business hours.
- Experience in community outreach.
- Must be energetic, creative, flexible, and detail-oriented team player with excellent interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with volunteers, staff, and the public.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities.
- Conflict management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a larger staff team.
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers, staff, and external contacts.
- Ability to coach and develop volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with the Alzheimer’s Association and its mission.
- Non-profit experience preferred.
- Spanish bilingual preferred.
- Normal office environment.
- High volume of public contact.
- Travel by car to attend meetings within the chapter territory, occasionally outside of normal business hours.