VMware Systems & Data Storage Administrator
Job Title: VMware Systems and Storage Administrator (Home Office)
Location: Chicago, IL
Work Hours: Full-time (based on a 37.5 hour work week)
Reports To: Director, Core Services
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
VMware Systems and Storage Administrator will manage the VMWare virtualization platform and storage environments to continuously improve, address and resolve any escalated back-end issues or outages. Our mission is to deliver exceptional management and technology solutions to meet the needs of the Association and our end users. This position requires that they will collaborate with the IT Core Services Director and peers to perform day-to-day operational tasks to ensure systems are monitored, accurately documented and in full compliance with licensing and security patching. In addition, they will assist with maintaining the Association’s primary and secondary data centers, including setup, installation and maintenance of all infrastructure.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and maintain day-to-day operational tasks to ensure that the virtual and SAN environments are operating appropriately, are available to meet the association business needs, and any operational issues are proactively resolved
- Monitor virtual and storage environment, and proactively install hardware and software upgrades, releases, and application patches to virtual and storage hardware in order to avoid malfunction bugs and security breaches.
- Build and maintain virtual servers and desktop templates
- Web-based / Server Digital Certificate management for association public and private certificates
- Provide and maintain documentation for the VMware, storage and hardware environments in the Elk Grove and Chicago Data Centers.
- Assist with building and installing hardware infrastructure in the Elk Grove and Chicago Data Centers, which encompasses hardware for network, SAN storage and VMware ESXi hosts.
- As required must be available on a 24-hour basis for emergency support. Only when required and considered abnormal to general operations.
- Associate’s degree in Computer Science or Management Information Systems, Bachelor’s preferred
- 5 years’ experience in an IT service role, 5-7 years’ experience preferred
- Experience and knowledge with systems and storage environments
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to identify and solve IT problems through research and methodical analysis
- Able to communicate with staff and vendors, in person, on the telephone, video conferencing and/or via electronic mail
- Experience and knowledge with Windows desktop operating systems, active directory and Google applications
- Experience using a helpdesk ticket management system and able to document and read/write technical and non-technical material
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing, plus Caregiver Leave.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, orany other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.