Vice President, Marketing
About the Alzheimer’s Association
To achieve its mission even more swiftly, and to expand the depth, breadth and pace of the entire Alzheimer’s movement, the Alzheimer’s Association® has committed to enhancing and strengthening its position as the leader in Alzheimer’s disease advocacy, research and support, to reach more people in need, to increase quality care and to speed research advances. In July 2018, the Association began its new three-year strategic plan, the first part of an endeavor to realize a bold, ten-year vision for research, care and support that goes beyond what it can achieve just on its own.
In research, the Alzheimer’s Association® envisions that over the next ten years it will contribute to research breakthroughs that are life-changing for people with Alzheimer’s disease, by driving the international research agenda. This includes significant improvements in the areas of treatment, diagnosis/detection and risk reduction that will require ongoing advances in tools, processes and systems that will facilitate breakthroughs.
The Alzheimer’s Association visualizes that in care and support, it will contribute to a dramatic increase in the accurate and timely diagnosis of people with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, as well as a significant increase in the proportion of people with dementia and their caregivers who receive affordable, high-quality care and support.
The Alzheimer’s Association® is working in the following six strategic areas that are decidedly interdependent in order to realize its ten-year vision and to fulfill its mission and ultimate vision of A World Without Alzheimer’s and All Other Dementia®:
- Accelerate Research
- Enhance Care and Support
- Increase Concern and Awareness
- Strengthen Diversity and Inclusion
- Advance Public Policy
- Grow Revenue in Support of the Mission
Progress on strategic objectives in each area will be achieved through priority activities and guided by core values forged by a commitment to the highest ethical standards. To realize its vision, the Alzheimer’s Association® will use three critical levers — increasing revenue, advancing public policy and growing concern and awareness — to their fullest potential.
Core values within the Association include:
Community – We mobilize all people and all organizations to inspire a shared passion and dedication to grow reach and impact for the cause.
Inclusivity – We collaborate, listen, and engage diverse points of view, working together to produce the best outcomes.
Accountability – We embrace the responsibility of achieving our goals and expect results from ourselves and others, knowing that we are building momentum to advance our cause.
Agility – We are catalysts for advancement of the cause, working together to adapt to and proactively lead change while seizing opportunities for progress and transformation.
Integrity – We take personal responsibility to act ethically with honesty, transparency, and compassion.
About the Position
The Vice President, Marketing reports to the Chief Marketing Officer providing strategic marketing direction and leadership to all functional areas across the organization in order to achieve the objectives set forth in the strategic plan. This role develops and provides leadership to a team that implements marketing strategies, advancing the mission and vision of the Alzheimer’s Association.
This position will be headquartered out of the Association’s National Office in Chicago, IL and will report to the Chief Marketing Officer.
- Leads website strategies for alz.org.
- Oversees organic search results through optimization strategies.
Branding & Advertising
- Manages brand reputation and associated risk to the Association by owning brand management including approval and/or direction of all partners, brand placements, portrayal of the brand, etc. This includes the responsibility of ensuring that all branding and messaging from the home office and chapters is consistent with standards defined and set by Vice President, Marketing.
- Leads and directs all integrated advertising campaigns to support the strategic plan. Responsibilities include selection and management of media and creative agencies, creative development, nationwide media planning and buying direction, market research as well as local chapter usage and adoption. Provides leadership to Ad Council and pro bono agencies to guide annual donated advertising campaign.
- Plans, manages and provides exceptional stewardship of Nationwide Marketing budget.
- Plans and manages department operations budget.
- Provides leadership to team on development and management of all creative assets across the organization. Responsibilities of team include development of collateral annually, digital asset management system, local marketing customization platform, photo and video shoots and production and project management systems.
- Leads and oversees the planning, development, subscription and distribution strategies of ALZ magazine, the official publication of the Alzheimer’s Association, for both print and digital experience.
- Provides leadership to strategic communications and digital strategy teams on weekly e-news program, the largest and most engaged email list for the Association of over one million subscribers. Responsibilities include subscription strategy, content, inbox delivery and list usage.
- Directs all activities surrounding Shop for Cause, the Association’s consumer facing e-commerce site and parallel B2B site staff use to source products to support all initiatives. This includes oversight of the business including vendor selection, product sourcing, product pricing, inventory management, site interface, product marketing, print on demand and sales reporting and forecasting.
- Manages direct report teams that direct strategic communications, marketing, field marketing communications, print and product fulfillment, design and digital and technical strategy.
Experience & General Requirements:
- 15 years of experience with progressive responsibility leading marketing functions including branding, messaging, content marketing, design, digital experience, e-commerce, integrated advertising campaigns and project management.
- 8-10 years of experience in a leadership role.
- Background in both nonprofit and for-profit marketing preferred.
- Innovative thinker able to identify new opportunities to advance the cause and Association with high return on investment.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends as needed, and to travel nationally and internationally as required. Estimated travel is up to 25%. Must possess valid passport.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with strong influencing and collaboration capabilities.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills including public speaking and the ability to represent the association in high profile public settings.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and create an inclusive environment.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Ability to make creative use of available resources and proactively develop new ones. Superior multi-tasking abilities, with ability to move seamlessly between environments and activities. Broad business perspective necessary, to successfully align communications strategies with organizational imperatives.
- Demonstrated ability to influence multiple stakeholders including care providers, policy makers, consumers, and program and organization leadership through written and oral communication as demonstrated through successful initiatives and professional presentations, or other related endeavors.
- Ability to think analytically and strategically to identify and evaluate opportunities to integrate communications strategies to advance the mission.
- Ability to collaborate with other divisions and departments within the Association (Medical Science, Public Policy, Program Services, Diversity and Inclusion, Conferencing and Chapter leadership) as well as with leaders, organizations, and vendors outside the Alzheimer's Association.
- Proven ability to effectively lead, coach, and develop staff, as well as manage budget.
- Superior public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong affinity for the Alzheimer’s Association mission and vision that translates into authentic compassion for people with Alzheimer’s disease and their caregivers.
- Alignment with our core values.
- Bachelor’s degree in consumer marketing and communications or a related field. MBA preferred.
The Alzheimer’s Association offers competitive compensation, benefits, retirement savings and paid time off plans. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, or military status. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the jobholder.