US Pointer Care Navigator - Part-Time - Bilingual
The Alzheimer's Association U.S. Study to Protect Brain Health Through Lifestyle Intervention to Reduce Risk (U.S. POINTER) is a two-year clinical trial to evaluate whether lifestyle interventions that simultaneously target many risk factors protect cognitive function in older adults who are at increased risk for cognitive decline. U.S. POINTER is the first such study to be conducted in a large group of Americans across the United States. This is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for both participants and researchers.
The U.S. POINTER Navigator will serve as the main liaison for study participants, providing support and management of an assigned team of participants assigned to the same intervention arm of a randomized controlled trial for the duration of the 2-year study. This role is crucial to participant engagement and retention and will require regular contact and oversight of participant study-related activities. This position reports to the Chief Program Officer at the Houston& Southeast Texas Chapter
This position is based in the Houston & Southeast Chapter Office area. Additional travel by road within a defined geographical area will be required and reimbursed per the travel policies of the Alzheimer’s Association.
Duration of Position
This is a part-time (24 hours) fully benefited, grant-funded position that is expected to run through the end of calendar year 2022, at a minimum.
* Work with study participants to engage and encourage them to follow their study-prescribed lifestyle intervention activities
* Facilitate participants’ use of computer technology as needed, which could include wearable activity tracking devices, computer-based training, and telephone applications
* Work closely with the research clinic to ensure high quality of participant experience.
* Must possess the ability to engage participants, be highly-organized and have a background in motivational interviewing and group facilitation.
Preference will be given to applicants that have experience in one or more areas of the study’s interventions (i.e., physical activity, nutrition or cognitive aging).
* Able to engage and encourage participants to safely engage in and continue their intervention activities.
* Must be proficient at facilitating participants’ use of computer technology, such as wearable activity tracking devices, Bluetooth connectivity, smartphones, messaging (e.g., SMS, email), and access to web-based sites for cognitive training, data entry, and communication with the research clinic.
* The Navigator is expected to be a knowledgeable, friendly, responsible and diplomatic representative of the Alzheimer’s Association with the study participants, researchers and community in general.
* Bilingual in Spanish required
Education & Experience & Other Requirements
* Bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work, sociology or related field required. Advanced degree in community counseling preferred.
* 2 - 3 years’ experience with prevention-based counseling, motivational interviewing, or short-term, cognitive behavioral counseling preferred.
* Experience in health promotion at a community level and past experience engaging diverse populations is highly desired.
* Must have a high degree of familiarity with current computer technologies due to the nature of the data being collected through the study and the means by which it's being collected (e.g., web browsers, Bluetooth, wearable activity monitors, smartphones).
* Proficiency in MS Office applications required, with the ability to quickly learn Google applications.
* Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed.
* Ability to travel frequently throughout the assigned territory.
* Access to reliable vehicle, valid driver's license, good driving record and proof of automobile insurance required.
Cover letter required with resume