Sr AD, Strategic Communications
The Senior Associate Director, Strategic Communications is responsible for managing priority communication initiatives that reach target audiences, as well as ensuring consistency and clarity in the messaging of these initiatives to support the Alzheimer’s Association global brand. These diverse projects include writing for key areas of the organization’s mission, including programs and services, fundraising events, advocacy and research. This individual must be able to write crisp, concise and engaging copy in a variety of styles, including editorial, marketing/promotional and first person as a ghostwriter. In addition to managing projects from start to finish, this role will oversee content strategy and development, and edit and collaborate with other departments on the creative design and marketing process. This individual may also supervise internal staff and external creative talent (freelance writers and designers).
This position is based at the Alzheimer’s Association Home Office in downtown Chicago, IL and reports to the Director, Strategic Communications.
Essential Job Functions:
* Guides strategy and development of key Association publications, materials and initiatives from inception through production; acts as overall project manager.
* Demonstrates leadership as a member of a creative team that develops mission-focused content for the general public and key constituents, including individuals with Alzheimer’s, family caregivers, physicians and direct care providers, and researchers and donors.
* Acts as a mentor and guide to junior staff and other members of the team.
* Participates in and leads creative meetings, bringing a strategic and thoughtful perspective to the client; manages cross-departmental projects from inception through finished product.
* Collaborates with internal clients to discern their communication goals and needs, proactively provides strategic guidance on the optimal channels to achieve progress and success.
* Identifies the need to meet one-on-one and in groups with colleagues to brainstorm; gathers information; presents ideas; follows through on specific assignments without prompts.
* Oversees a vast library of regularly sourced key content that is updated on an ongoing basis.
* Models, supports and implements the Alzheimer's Association brand, maintaining integrity and consistency throughout all communications.
* Edits and proofreads others’ copy following and modeling AP Stylebook and in-house style guide.
* Manages cross-functional project teams that include internal and external stakeholders and vendors. Builds ongoing relationships with internal clients in order to better understand and meet their content needs; looks for opportunities to guide content strategically.
* Identifies opportunities to extend content through alternate communications and marketing platforms in order to advance audience reach and mission goals.
* Helps to identify necessary across-the-board updates to established Association content and style.
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English, health communications, marketing or related discipline
* 7-9 years of experience in agency; VHO or health care; corporate communication or other in-house creative department; marketing communications agency
* Provide a portfolio of work: published articles in organizational newsletters, emails, website copy, marketing materials, etc.
* Confident, productive, creative writer able who is proficient in AP style and willing and able to adopt and follow in-house style
* Strategic thinker, able to problem solve and manage conflicting edits and opinions, as well as to translate complex content for the lay audience
* Exceptional communication skills to collaborate with and build consensus among diverse stakeholders at levels
* 2-4 years of supervisory experience preferred
* Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekend as needed
* Ability and willingness to travel overnight up to 5%
Job Reference #: 3334