Specialist, Media Relations/Digital Media
Job Title: Specialist, Media Relations/Digital Media
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Work Hours: Full-time (based on a 37.5 hour work week)
Reports To: Director, Marketing & Communications
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
Under the direction of the Greater PA Director of Marketing and Communications and in coordination with the Sr. Director of Marketing and Communications, the Media Relations Specialist is responsible for the execution of the overall media relations strategy throughout the assigned territory with priority focus on the Pittsburgh and Erie markets. In addition, the Specialist will serve in a region-wide support role to assist in the implementation of social media efforts, website updates and other digital communications.
A wide degree of professional skill and creativity is expected. It is critical that this individual is a self-starter, strong writer and creative thinker. This person must be able to work in a fast-paced, multi-faceted environment with consistent feedback and input from various departments. The ability to multitask and meet critical deadlines is a must.
The Specialist’s primary objective is to increase awareness and understanding of the Alzheimer’s Association’s work in the assigned territory to several key target audiences: media outlets and reporters, donors, volunteers, constituents, elected officials and the community in general.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Execute an annual media relations strategic plan which relies on proactive media outreach, story and spokesperson development, interview coordination, and media placement tracking covering work across all pillars of the Association including policy and advocacy, programs, development and community outreach
- Act as the Association’s representative with the media for assigned territory; work collaboratively with internal and external partners, clients and the media
- Identify and build strong relationships with members of the media (reporters, editors, producers, etc.) while maintaining a ; develop and maintain a thorough traditional and social media contact list, and a plan to cultivate and nurture media relationships
- Develop media materials (e.g. pitches, press releases, media advisories, key messages, spokesperson prep, etc.) and conduct media outreach to engage members of the press, develop stories, coordinate interviews, and secure coverage
- Prioritize the national communications calendar to ensure that the timeliest stories are handled immediately while features are developed concurrently to be most effective in the media market
- Work with staff to develop stories, customize content and media pitches within assigned territory
- Develop a local speakers’ bureau of trained volunteers, Ambassadors, researchers and staff who can speak on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association, and represent the organization in the press
- Coach and assist volunteer spokespeople, staff on messaging as they prepare for interviews, write for the lay press, and/or engage in other media opportunities
- Collaborate with development staff to secure in-kind media partnerships, including sponsorship activation, recognition and other earned benefits; include in-kind partners within media contacts list to cultivate relationship
- Update chapter (3) websites in alignment with current campaigns and program initiatives
- Assist, as needed, with development and distribution of HTML-based messages through third-party programs/platforms
- Execute social media content and monitoring/analysis, in accordance with national strategy and local initiatives, with oversight from the Director.
- Support the regional marketing/communications team to maintain a robust digital media calendar to manage seasonal/holiday/calendar opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or related field or equivalent experience
- Two (2) years of experience required. Three (3) to five (5) years, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of AP style
- Must have a firm understanding of media relations tactics, with demonstrated media placement success
- Understanding of digital marketing
- Skilled in use of social media platforms
- Experience utilizing web content management software
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Google Suite, Adobe Creative, and Microsoft Office
- Video editing experience is a plus
- Ability to work under pressure of a deadline and maintain promised deliverables
- Organized and extremely detail-oriented
- Strong creative ability to brainstorm ideas individually and collectively with a team; helping translate those ideas into compelling external messaging
- Bilingual is a plus
- While based out of the Pittsburgh office, the ability to travel throughout the local chapter area with occasional travel to regional offices in NJ, DE and eastern PA.
- Valid driver’s license, proof of insurance and access to a reliable, personal vehicle
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as required for the job
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing, plus Caregiver Leave.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.