Public Relations Director
The Public Relations Director is the leader of the marketing communications department for the Chapter, which delivers against Concern & Awareness goals while supporting the full mission of the organization. This position is largely responsible for maintaining concern about the disease and increasing awareness of the Alzheimer’s Association by garnering local editorial news coverage. Media relations is approximately 50% of this position.
In addition to media relations, this position is responsible for ensuring paid and organic social strategy and execution. This position would also collateral, digital, paid and/or donated media.
The Public Relations Director works closely with the Executive Director and the Senior Team to develop strategic marketing communications support for our Care & Support, Research, Public Policy, Development and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion initiatives
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and local leadership to develop, execute and evaluate regional and community communications opportunities that complement the Alzheimer’s Association national strategic plan.
- Manage year-round, community-wide media relations strategy and implementation, including:
- Leveraging and/or developing full mission story ideas and key messaging that aligns with the mission and brand of the Alzheimer's Association;
- Cultivating close relationships with local media across media types and at diverse outlets so that they are responsive to story ideas and turn to the Association when they have dementia-related needs;
- Ensuring staff and volunteer spokespeople are prepared, equipped and empowered to represent the Association with a clear mission narrative when appropriate;
- Pro-actively inserting the Alzheimer’s Association into relevant trends and creating new opportunities;
- Collaborating with the Home Office to manage an issues communications;
- Sharing content and supporting Media Relations staff throughout the region as they pursue their strategic goals.
- Oversee and, in areas where there is not additional media relations staff, also manage social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.) as appropriate, including:
- Leveraging editorial calendar to plan full mission content;
- Identifying paid social opportunities that complement traditional paid and/or donated efforts;
- Analyzing insights to evaluate engagement and optimize posts.
- Manage the Marketing Area in promoting strategic initiatives across marketing communications channels, including:
- Maintaining digital platforms to maximize brand awareness and ensure a positive user experience;
- Negotiating media buys and/or donations with local media outlets;
- Leveraging and/or developing print and digital collateral as necessary to reach target audiences.
- Assure compliance with all Alzheimer’s Association branding policies, procedures, standards and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Degree in relevant field.
- Ten years’ experience in communications and public relations.
- Five years’ experience working with social media and marketing communications.
- Five years management level experience.
- Experience working with local media outlets and securing editorial coverage in this market.
- Experience negotiating media buys and securing donated media.
- Experience with healthcare communications is ideal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of the importance of consistent branding and messaging within a mission-based organization.
- Superior written and verbal
- Creative thinking to ensure fresh approaches to annual and evergreen opportunities.
- Solution-oriented with strong decision making skills, demonstrating effective cost/benefit analysis.
- Ability to motivate and encourage others to maximize potential and achieve challenging organization goals.
- Management skills, including the ability to set milestones against goals, organize projects, establish and manage budgets, develop work processes and supervise professionals.
- Strong awareness of the social, economic, political environment in which the Association operates.
Title: Public Relations Director
Position Location: Albuquerque, NM
Full time based on 37.5 hour work week minimum
Position Grade: 107
Reports To: Tim Sheahan, Executive Director
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia- by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,900 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life-changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may develop the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to explore who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work for the last twelve years in a row.
At the Alzheimer's Association®, we believe that diverse perspectives are critical to achieving health equity - meaning that all communities have a fair and just opportunity for early diagnosis and access to risk reduction and quality care. The Association is committed to engaging underrepresented and underserved communities and responding with resources and education to address the disproportionate impact of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: PUBLI001518