Payroll Operations Specialist- Home Office
Job Title: Specialist, Payroll Operations- Home Office
Location: Chicago, IL
Work Hours: Full-time (based on a 37.5 hour work week)
Reports To: Associate Director, Payroll Operations
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
The Payroll Operations Specialist will support the Association’s bi-weekly, multi-state payroll; ensure the accuracy of the data and its correct usage within an outsourced automated HRIS and payroll system; maintain the highest integrity, confidentiality, and strict regulatory compliance in all payroll-related activities and follows company policies and procedures; and assists employees in resolving payroll issues and in answering payroll-related questions within in the assigned territory.
This position reports to the Associate Director, Payroll Operations . While the Association is currently working remotely, upon a return to the office, this position will be based at the Home Office in Chicago.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare and process all payroll documents received from HRIS team and employees bi-weekly utilizing ADP WFN Payroll and Time and Attendance software. Including salary increases, termination pay, new employee data, leave of absence pay and other employee changes. Assist in payroll transmission activities.
- Assist in evaluation of reports, decisions, and results of department in relation to established goals and recommends new approaches, systems, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Manage time and attendance time transfer activities and schedule adherence including educating staff on time keeping system to ensure compliance, especially with grant staff, editing/auditing electronic timesheets/schedules/manager information and reviewing receipt of proper documentation authorizing any data changes.
- Manage processing of garnishments, wage deduction orders, and other employee deductions according to state and federal guidelines and in adherence to company policy. Serve as liaison with payroll vendor to ensure compliance.
- Participate in the Annual Finance Audit as it relates to payroll processing.
- Manage the funding and reporting for all 401(k) transactions biweekly, quarterly and annually. Take a lead role in the quarterly/annual audit, of 401(k) transactions to ensure compliance with plan specifications and verify accurate funding to participant accounts.
- Prepare and deliver payroll reports biweekly, monthly, quarterly, and annually using HRIS system.
- HRIS data entry as it relates to payroll activities.
- Undergraduate degree in accounting, finance or equivalent combination of education and work experience, CPP a plus. HRIS experience required.
- Working knowledge of current legal, tax guidelines, and leaves of absence in a multi-state payroll environment.
- 7 years progressive payroll experience in a multi-state payroll environment with a 1000 or more employees
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications, especially Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working with outsourced vendors (ADP Workforce Now, Ultimate Kronos Group, and Fidelity PSW).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to keep payroll information confidential
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal staff in person and by phone
- Ability to communicate effectively with external vendors
- Ability to read and write legibly
- Ability to operate office machines
- Ability to apply established policies and procedures to a variety of payroll situations
- Ability to stretch, bend and stoop to file documents
- Ability to move 20 lbs. of office supplies
- Ability to handle stress
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day of their choosing , Caregiver Leave, Volunteer and School Visitation time off, paid holidays and a gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.