Part-Time Communications Manager (24 hours/week with benefits)
Be part of the movement to end Alzheimer’s!
Right now, millions of Americans are facing the devastation of Alzheimer’s. This disease is robbing us of our finances, our families and our futures - but at the Alzheimer’s Association, we’re relentlessly working to change that by addressing the challenges in front of us with speed and without limitations or boundaries. With our network of more than 75 chapters across the country, we’re advancing world-class research, ensuring access to gold-standard care and support, and hiring talented, mission-driven people who make it all happen.
The Alzheimer’s Association has been ranked as one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times nine years in a row, recognizing our leadership, competitive compensation and benefits, flexibility and mission-driven atmosphere. It takes a uniquely motivated person to be a part of our team - but we believe that person could be you.
General Statement of Responsibilities
Reporting to the Chapter Executive Director, the Part-Time Communications Manager drives varied communications projects for the Rhode Island Chapter, including maintaining media files, developing analytical and forecasting reports, social media, graphic design projects and support as required. The position requires strong writing and proofreading skills in a wide variety of contexts. Occasional evening and weekend work are required throughout Rhode Island.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Lead the Communications function in the Chapter, including:
- Assisting with planning and placement of marketing/public awareness campaigns, to include tracking and timelines
- Maintaining media contact database
- Collaborating with Chapter staff to develop and pitch relevant stories to local media outlets
- Responding to all media requests/inquiries and secure spokespeople for interviews as appropriate
- Developing/maintaining relationships with local media contacts
- Writing and distributing news releases
- Analyzing data/trends: Work with all departments to create metrics to determine the success of any given campaign, initiative, or collateral piece within its market
- Oversee social media activities and accounts for the chapter, and develop strategies to increase reach and engagement
- Create content for weekly eNews and submit to national office template/system
- Manage public relations for promotion of key events in the Chapter, including Walk to End Alzheimer’s and The Longest Day, and other local events:
- Seeking and implementing opportunities for coverage of events
- Creation of social media campaigns to support events, including the development of content for these campaigns
- Provide support for the Communications function in the Chapter, including drafting, proofreading and editing a wide range of communications materials
Key Educational/Professional Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations or Marketing preferred
- Three years’ experience in a communications role
- Strong writer in communications setting with an eye for detail and brand consistency
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, video editing preferred
- Solid experience with Microsoft Office applications
- Experience with mission focused organization
- Proficiency in a second language preferred
Key Professional Attributes
- Superior self-management skills, as independent initiative and ability to collaborate are essential
- Effective verbal and presentation skills, reflecting an understanding of the appropriate use of communication technologies and an appreciation that each audience requires its own approach
- Superior writing and proofreading skills, demonstrating an eye for detail, ability to adjust registers for varying audiences while maintaining brand guidelines
- Sound decision making skills, reflecting effective establishing of priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Highly collaborative and team focused, as much of the delivery of results requires influencing others without "reporting authority???
- Professional personal demeanor and presence, recognizing the significance of the role as the initial "face/voice" of the Association
Competitive Salary and Benefits provided.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 3602