Media Relations Manager
The Alzheimer’s Association is looking for a dynamic media relations manager, reporting to the Director of Communications. The person in this role will play a lead role in outreach to local media to garner editorial news coverage that increases concern and awareness of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias and the Alzheimer’s Association. In addition to media relations (approximately 75% of this position), this person also will be responsible for organic and paid social media strategy and execution. The position, based in McLean, VA, is part of a larger regional marketing communications team and a nationwide effort.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in the development and execution of communications and marketing plans to support annual and long-term strategic goals and initiatives
- Manage media relations activities within the National Capital Area, with the objective to increase earned media impressions
- Develop and maintain strong relationship with members of the local media (reporters, producers, editors) to secure media placements
- Identify opportunities to publicize initiatives, programs and events by developing and proactively pitching stories
- Write and disseminate articles, press releases, media alerts and other materials
- Recruit, train and manage a network of spokespeople
- Manage social media by developing editorial calendars and content and analyzing insights
- Maintain accurate records regarding media engagement, story pitches and placement, and social media impressions to meet reporting deadlines and achieve annual goals
- Assure compliance with all Alzheimer’s Association branding policies, procedures, standards and applicable regulatory requirements
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field
- Three to five years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven track record of securing earned media in print and broadcast media
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and knowledge of AP style
- Experience with social media platforms
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and Google Suite applications
- Pro-active self-starter with the ability to work well independently and with cross-functional teams
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities, work under pressure of a deadline and maintain promised deliverables
- High level of integrity, diplomacy and initiative, with absolute commitment to confidentiality
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, early mornings and weekends; ability to travel if required
- Passion for the Alzheimer’s Association’s mission and work
Position Location: McLean, VA
Full time: 37.5 hours/week
Position Grade: 406
Reports To: Senior Director Communications and Marketing
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia- by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,900 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life-changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may develop the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to explore who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work for the last twelve years in a row.
At the Alzheimer's Association®, we believe that diverse perspectives are critical to achieving health equity - meaning that all communities have a fair and just opportunity for early diagnosis and access to risk reduction and quality care. The Association is committed to engaging underrepresented and underserved communities and responding with resources and education to address the disproportionate impact of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.