Media Relations Manager
JOB SUMMARY: The Alzheimer’s Association is looking for a dynamic media relations manager for New York City and Long Island, reporting to the Director of Communications. The person in this role will develop and implement public relations initiatives to increase understanding of the Alzheimer’s Association and our funded research, public policy efforts, programs and services, fundraising campaigns, events, and community engagement. They will also support national initiatives to strengthen the Association’s brand.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage media and public relations activities within New York City and Long Island, with the objective to increase earned media impressions
- Develop and proactively pitch stories
- Write press releases, media alerts and other materials, as needed
- Monitor local news for trends and identify emerging opportunities
- Respond to reactive press requests, collaborating with chapter staff to craft timely, appropriate responses
- Build network of spokespeople and manage their media training
- Prep spokespeople for interviews, writing briefings documents and talking points
- Facilitate relationships with reporters and media outlets to earn media placements, including the management of media contact lists
- Collaborate on social media content and calendar
- Track record of securing earned media in a range of outlets, from broadcast to community papers
- Experience with digital and social media communications preferred but not required
- Understanding of Alzheimer’s disease or other healthcare issues preferred but not required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and Google applications; willing and able to perform all training required for Alzheimer’s Association organizational CRM and CMS systems
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills, including experience working cross-functionally with key stakeholders
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field
- Five years’ experience in communications and public relations; experience working in large media markets preferred
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
JOB TITLE: Media Relations Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications, New York City Chapter
LOCATION: Hybrid, based in New York City or Melville, Long Island, NY
STATUS: Full time 37.5 hours/week
GRADE: 405 $65,000 - $75,000
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia- by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,900 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life-changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may develop the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to explore who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work for the last twelve years in a row.
At the Alzheimer's Association®, we believe that diverse perspectives are critical to achieving health equity - meaning that all communities have a fair and just opportunity for early diagnosis and access to risk reduction and quality care. The Association is committed to engaging underrepresented and underserved communities and responding with resources and education to address the disproportionate impact of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.