Media Relations Manager
Under the direction of the Vice President of Communications, responsible for overall media relations strategy on a variety of levels: advocacy, executive placement, major press/media, community/trade press, and other relevant topics as assigned
- Strategic positioning of the Alzheimer’s Association brand throughout the state of Florida
- Lead the effort to produce the optimal number of story placements by creating story ideas from internal and outside sources and managing content/outreach using traditional and social media venues
- Cultivate better contacts with media representatives, building content for press releases, media advisories, and helping to coordinate content on social media
- Prioritize the communications calendar to ensure that the timeliest stories are handled immediately while features are developed to be most effective in the media marketplace
- Develop an annual media relations strategic program to ensure the success of a robust communications program that includes advocacy, executive placement, press/media placement, and community outreach
- Ensure that chapter executives, program staff and development staff are provided opportunities to speak on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association at conferences, in trade journals, or other media specific to their own areas of expertise
- Coach and assist staff on messaging as they prepare for interviews or other media opportunities
- Research external editorial opportunities (nationwide, statewide, local) to position the Alzheimer’s Association as a thought leader on issues relating to dementia, Alzheimer’s research, and other timely topics
- Work with Public Policy staff on advocacy issues (national, statewide, and local) with intent to customize them for the Florida market and present our own community outreach related to those issues
- Traditional and social media contact development and management (reporters, editors, producers, etc.); create and maintain robust media list
- Develop press releases, media advisories and other outreach efforts to engage traditional and online outlets to greater interaction
- Prioritize stories to ensure the best leverage of timely articles versus feature reporting
- Best use of repurposing features for other outlets (Web, newsletter, blog, etc.)
- Develop a speakers’ bureau of trained volunteers, Ambassadors, researchers, and staff that can speak on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association and represent the organization at national, regional, and community events
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or related field
- Three to five years relevant experience preferably in non-profit or public service
- Bilingual candidates strongly preferred
- Must love pitching stories
- Advanced knowledge of AP style
Job Title: Media Relations Manager
Location: Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Tampa/Clearwater
Status: Full time, Salaried
Reports To: Vice President of Communications
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last twelve years in a row.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.