Media Relations Manager
Job Title: Media Relations Manager
Location: Dallas and Fort Worth Metro, TX
Full time based on 37.5 hours per week
Reports To: Executive Director
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,900 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
Under the direction of the Regional Director of Communications, the Media Relations Manager is responsible for the strategic positioning of the Alzheimer’s Association brand throughout the state of Texas and for the overall media relations strategy on a variety of levels: major press/media, community/trade press, advocacy, development, and other relevant topics.
A wide degree of professional skill & creativity is expected. It is critical that this individual is a self-starter, problem-solver, strong writer and creative thinker. This person must be able to work in a fast-paced, complex, multi-faceted environment both independently and in a team environment with consistent feedback from various departments. The ability to multi-task yet still meet critical deadlines is a must.
The Media Relations Manager’s primary objective is to increase awareness and understanding of what the Alzheimer’s Association does in Texas to several key target audiences: media outlets, donors, volunteers, caregivers, elected officials and the community in general.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop an annual media relations strategic program to ensure the success of a robust communications program that includes press/media placement advocacy development, and community outreach
- Act as the Association’s representative with the media for specific chapter. Work collaboratively with internal and external partners, clients, and the media.
- Ensure that chapter executives and other staff, as well as volunteers and key community members are provided opportunities to speak on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association with local media outlets, in trade journals, or other media specific to their own areas of expertise
- Coach and assist staff and volunteer spokespersons on messaging as they prepare for interviews or other media opportunities
- Research and develop external editorial opportunities (nationwide, statewide, local) to position the Alzheimer’s Association as a thought leader on issues relating to dementia, Alzheimer’s research, and other timely topics
- Work with Public Policy staff on advocacy issues (national, statewide, and local) with intent to customize them for the Texas market and present our own media outreach and community involvement related to those issues
- Traditional and social media contact development and management (reporters, editors, producers, etc.); create and maintain robust media lists
- Develop press releases, media advisories and other outreach efforts to engage traditional and online outlets to greater interaction
- Prioritize stories to ensure the best leverage of timely articles versus feature reporting
- Best use of repurposing features for other outlets (Web, newsletter, blog, etc.)
- Lead the effort to produce the optimal number of story placements by creating story ideas from internal and outside sources and managing content/outreach using traditional and social media venues
- Cultivate better contacts with media representatives, building content for press releases, media advisories, and helping to coordinate content on social media
- Prioritize the communications calendar to ensure that the timeliest stories are handled immediately while features are developed to be most effective in the media marketplace
- Develop a speakers’ bureau of trained volunteers, Ambassadors, researchers, and staff that can speak on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association and represent the organization at national, regional, and community events
- Assist in the procurement and management of media buy to support achievement of marketing and communications goals and fundraising objectives as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or related field
- Three to five years’ relevant experience preferably in non-profit or public service
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of AP style
- Must love developing and pitching stories
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Cision
- Working knowledge of most prominent social media platforms
- Ability to work under pressure of a deadline and maintain promised deliverables
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to achieve a common goal
- Organized and extremely detail-oriented
- Outgoing, energetic and positive team player
- Strong creative ability to brainstorm ideas individually and collectively with a team
- Successful problem-solving skills and ability to be resourceful
- Ability to travel across the region as needed
- Ability and to work occasional evenings and weekends as required for the job
- *Fluency in Spanish preferred but not required
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.