Marketing and Communications Manager
JOB TITLE: Marketing and Communications Manager
LOCATION: Orange, California
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
WORK HOURS: Full/time
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
The Alzheimer’s Association is looking for a dynamic, creative, and experienced professional to lead the marketing, communications, media relations, content development, brand management, audience development and digital marketing for the Alzheimer's Association Orange County, Chapter. The Orange County Chapter shares a media market with two chapters within the Neilsen #2 DMA media market, a collaborative team player in this position is a must. The Manager of Marketing and Communications crafts strategies, builds relationships and executes a comprehensive communication plan to significantly increase concern and awareness on behalf of the Alzheimer’s Association in the Orange County region. Will work in all aspects of media relations, including promoting consumer-friendly disease-awareness campaigns and press events; pro-actively inserting the cause into trending stories and creating new opportunities; and showcasing scientific advances in the field as well as Alzheimer’s Association programs and special events. S/he will be responsible for overseeing and executing all marketing and communications initiatives through multiple platforms across the Orange County/Los Angeles DMA in concert with other colleagues from other markets in the state.
- Lead and coordinate chapter efforts to raise positive awareness of the Alzheimer's Association throughout the Orange County region; and promote: (1) use of Association services and programs by individuals, families and professionals impacted by Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias; (2) engagement in advocacy and public policy, (3) participation in constituent and relationship fundraising events, (4) acceleration of research and (5) general public concern and awareness.
- Responsible for all marketing and communication materials at the Orange County Chapter including: print, digital and collateral design, web content, email newsletters, social media, and advertising.
- Responsible for daily digital communication, website and social media account management, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- Lead media relations activities within Orange County. Development and execution of proactive and reactive media campaigns, crisis communication tactics and rapid response, as appropriate.
- Coordinate all public relations activities, including:
- Develop compelling stories for PR efforts.
- Recruit and train media spokespeople.
- writing and distributing press releases
- maintaining media lists
- creating press kits, and assisting with media monitoring and reporting.
- Strategize and coordinate media sponsorship agreements, including in-kind media opportunities, e.g. PSAs.
- Develop a sense of shared mission with the leadership team at the Chapter to jointly achieve organization-wide goals and support the success of each department including:
- Develop copy/content and provide proofing support for collateral design from other chapter departments.
- Work closely with regional (Southern California) marketing and communications teams to identify and build the Association’s presence in Neilson’s #2 media market.
- Design graphics, write copy, and edit a variety of print and digital assets using consistent branding, messaging, grammar and AP style.
- Support public relations efforts including Participate in and provide support for Chapter events, including the Walk to End Alzheimer’s, Gala, The Longest Day, Educational Programs, Advocacy Day and other events as needed.
- Recruit and oversee the work of Marketing/Communications volunteers and interns.
- Represent the Association at appropriate public events, conferences, speaking engagements and workshops.
- Strategize and coordinate all paid advertising, including print, digital, broadcast and OOH.
- Facilitate relationships with reporters and media outlets to earn media placements including the management of a portion of a robust media contact list in conjunction with other Chapters that share the Neilsen #2 DMA (California Southland Chapter & California Central Coast Chapter), including those that focus on diverse populations.
- Assure compliance with all Association branding policies, procedures, standards and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Maintain accurate records and databases. Meet reporting deadlines.
- Keep the Executive Director informed of critical issues and developments and make presentations to Board of Directors as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field and a minimum of 5 years related professional communications experience with a focus on media relations
- Proven record/portfolio of creative and compelling writing
- Experience with communications in Alzheimer’s disease or other healthcare issues is a plus
- Knowledge of community media resources including those that focus on diverse communities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Word, Excel, Power Point and Google applications; willing and able to perform all training required for Alzheimer’s Association organizational CRM and CMS systems
- Excellent writing and editing skills; knowledge of Associated Press (AP) writing style a plus
- Excellent public speaking skills and ability to represent the Alzheimer’s community in a variety of settings
- Excellent public relations skills, customer service skills when working with internal and external clients
- Deadline and detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Experience working with paid advertising
- Experience and comfort navigating and using social media tools
- Willingness and ability to quickly learn new software/technology
- Ability and willingness to travel within the chapter on a limited basis and work nights and weekends as needed
- Ability to work with diverse communities and demonstrate inclusion
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we appreciate your interest in the Alzheimer's Association.
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and we appreciate your interest in the Alzheimer's Association.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day of their choosing , Caregiver Leave, Volunteer and School Visitation time off, paid holidays and a gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, orany other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.