Marketing and Communications Manager
The Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for planning and executing the Chapter’s annual strategic marketing and communications implementation plan in accordance with the Association’s strategic goals around increasing concern and awareness about Alzheimer’s disease and the Alzheimer’s Association. This position reports to the Executive Director, and is based in Melville, NY
Essential Job Functions
- Develop, maintain and enhance strong relationship with members of the media throughout our region.
- Utilize the Alzheimer’s Association media calendar and other organization resources to identify, develop and pitch stories to media outlets.
- Work with staff to identify and train appropriate spokespersons for stories.
- Respond to news stories related to Alzheimer’s disease, national or local programs, services and related activities.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external colleagues in order to identify media opportunities and work jointly on campaigns.
- Oversee digital communications, including website, social media and weekly email newsletter, working to increase reach for all vehicles.
- Manage adherence to Association branding standards and how it is reflected in all internal and external communications.
- Work with colleagues to determine what materials and information are needed for specific Chapter events and projects, and coordinate the production of such materials and information. This includes but is not limited to graphic brochures, proposals, presentation materials, signage, and other marketing correspondence.
- Design and/or review, edit and approve all marketing and graphics/print projects, ensuring that all expenditures are within budget and aligned with results and value.
Design and/or lead the design efforts for all Chapter publications and collateral materials as well as including Chapters newsletters (enews), flyers, brochures, reports, etc.
- Develop, implement and monitor the Chapter’s marketing and communications budget which includes expenses for paid advertising, design and printing, contracts with vendors for communications related services and more.
- Participate in the Chapter’s annual strategic planning process as it pertains to marketing and communications; develop annual marketing/communications plans and calendars.
- Strengthen the momentum of the Alzheimer’s movement by increasing concern and awareness about Alzheimer’s disease through the priority activities defined in the Strategic Plan. Identify opportunities to position the Association as the leader in Alzheimer’s research, care and support.
- Manage relationships with outside consultants including copywriters, printers, photographers, PR consultants, web designers, graphic designers, etc.
- Maintain accurate records regarding media impressions and paid advertising placements and meet reporting deadlines as necessary for national statistics.
- Represent the Association at public events, fundraisers and media events as requested
- Support and assist in Association events including but not limited to The Longest Day, Walk to End Alzheimer’s, and various conferences, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or related field.
- Minimum of 2-3 years of marketing, communications or public relations experience.
- Proven media relations experience and demonstrated news coverage placements.
- Familiarity with Alzheimer’s disease/dementia and/or aging health is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including copy editing and proofreading skills.
- Proficient in Windows and Adobe software programs, Google Apps.
- Experience with website content management systems preferred.
- Project leadership skills and the ability to excel in a fluid, cross-functional and collaborative team environment.
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively with news media, Chapter constituents and other stakeholders, professional colleagues, medical professionals, and the general public.
- Requires a high level of creative, original and independent thinking.
- Creativity in identifying, initiating and securing media opportunities.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Attention to detail, ability to prioritize, strong time management skills.
- High level of integrity, diplomacy and initiative. Solid work ethic.
- Ability to anticipate, identify, organize and analyze marketing opportunities.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Absolute commitment to confidentiality.
- Ability to work evenings and week-ends as needed.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally as needed, to perform job duties.
- NYS driver’s license and proof of insurance and access to reliable vehicle.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the jobholder. He/she will be required to complete any other duties as requested his/her supervisor or manager. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of job duties. Essential job functions may change when necessary.
The Alzheimer’s Association is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Reference #: 3832