Manager, The Longest Day
Position Title: Manager, The Longest Day
Reports to: VP of Development (Interim)
Location: Chicago, IL
Be part of the movement to end Alzheimer’s
Right now, millions of Americans are facing the devastation of Alzheimer’s. This disease is robbing us of our finances, our families and our futures - but at the Alzheimer’s Association, we’re relentlessly working to change that by addressing the challenges in front of us with speed and without limitations or boundaries. With our network of more than 75 chapters across the country, we’re advancing world-class research, ensuring access to gold-standard care and support, and hiring talented, mission-driven people who make it all happen.
The Alzheimer’s Association has been ranked as one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times nine years in a row, recognizing our leadership, competitive compensation and benefits, flexibility and mission-driven atmosphere. It takes a uniquely motivated person to be a part of our team - but we believe that person could be you.
This position is responsible for leading the strategy, planning and execution of The Longest Day initiatives, the Chapter’s 2nd largest mass market Signature event. This Manager will oversee the program for the entire state of Illinois and work in partnership with regional offices to ensure visibility of the Association and smooth execution of events. Measurable outcomes for this position include: achieving designated financial goals through event fundraising, identifying and soliciting volunteers for committee leadership roles, recruiting Team Captains & fundraising teams. Based in Chicago, IL or vicinity, this position requires frequent travel within the assigned territory.
Essential DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the Chapter’s revenue and expense goal related to The Longest Day
- Develop a comprehensive plan for The Longest Day that includes team recruitment & retention strategies, volunteer committee development, marketing/PR objectives
- Develop community contacts to recruit high level volunteer leadership for the Longest Day committee. Train, coach and develop volunteer leaders.
- Cultivate a pipeline of volunteer leadership for succession planning
- Work in collaboration with internal colleagues to identify the Longest Day participant prospects
- Assure Chapter compliance with Alzheimer’s Association policies, standards and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for other duties as assigned
- Actively participate in learning opportunities for professional growth and self- improvement
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 5 years successful track record in sales & fundraising/event planning
- Preferred experience in recruiting and mobilizing volunteers to achieve goals
- Confident, goal-oriented, positive self-starter with proven experience in managing simultaneous projects & events
- Superior motivator (written and verbal) with the ability to encourage others to maximize potential and achieve challenging organization goals
- Demonstrated management skills, including the ability set clear goals, organize projects, establish and manage budgets, develop work processes and supervise professionals
- Demonstrated ability to form and develop individual donor & corporate relationships and partnerships
- Ability to work with diverse communities and demonstrate inclusion
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 50% within the assigned territory by car. Travel in this case, is considered time spent away from the office, in the community, to fulfil the job goals.
- While most such travel is same day, occasional overnight travel or air travel may be required. Must have valid driver’s license, access to reliable vehicle, good driving record and proof of automobile insurance
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as required for the job
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and transport up to 25 lbs of materials
- Strong computer skills, proficient with Microsoft Office products and social media; experience with, or ability to rapidly learn, Team Approach/Convio software
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3152