Leave Administrator- Home Office
Job Title: Leave Administrator –Home Office
Location: Chicago, IL
Work Hours: Full-time (based on a 37.5 hour work week)
Reports To: Senior Director, HR Operations
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
We are seeking a driven professional with an extraordinary attention to detail, superb organizational and communication skills, deep understanding of leave management laws and processes as well as broad/generalist Human Resources knowledge.This position is primarily responsible for the coordination of all leave of absence requests, claims, reporting, include general administration, comprehensive case management and program compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act and all related employment and leave laws. Performs exemplary customer service and assistance to staff, executives and HR business partners. This role will serve as the primary point of contact for employees who have questions on any type of leave. Confidentiality is critical.
This position reports to the Senior Director, HR Operations. While the Association is currently working remotely, upon a return to the office, this position will be based at the Home Office in Chicago.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the subject matter expert and contact for the leave of absence and workers’ compensation programs in alignment and under the general direction and guidance of HR leadership and the legal department including but not limited to: Interpreting and administering leave programs and policies in accordance with the applicable federal and state employment laws (FMLA, ADA, USERRA, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, Paid Family Leave, etc.). Ensures that the workers’ compensation program is managed in accordance with applicable OSHA and workers’ compensation laws.
- Provide extensive case management and coordinates administrative aspects of the cases and claims. Conducts/coordinates investigations into all reported workers’ compensation claims.
- Work in coordination with the absence management vendor to approve and/or deny leave cases based on relevant medical information. Coordinates and organizes all medical information and ensures that HIPAA and Employee Privacy guidelines are closely monitored and effectively executed. Ensures that all reportable workers’ compensation claims are submitted to the company’s vendor within 48 business hours from the date of the incident.
- Manage all administrative aspects of leave and workers’ compensation claims to include tracking hours used/taken and working closely with the Payroll team to ensure that pay for staff is accurate and correct.
- Work closely with staff to ensure that all relevant completed medical documentation is submitted for timely review. Maintains appropriate contact with all staff on leave and coordinates all aspects of return to work for staff on leave.
- Produce and manages reporting metrics and analytics for all leave cases and workers’ compensation claims. Presents reports as requested.
- Partner closely with all HR business partners on all leave cases and workers’ compensation claims. Meets regularly with HRBPs to review claims’ status and develops strategies for resolution.
- Assist in the creation and facilitation of leave administration and workers’ compensation training programs
- Support benefits department as needed, including coordination of annual open enrollment activities. May include, benefit meetings, updating online systems, audits, coordinate mailings and email communication.
- Handle special projects and other duties as assigned and include other department members when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in Human Resources or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of recent administrative experience in employee benefits, clinical experience highly preferred as well as leave of absence programs, and HR generalist exposure. Microsoft skills include Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Google Docs, and HRIS.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be familiar with federal and state laws regarding FMLA, HIPAA, ADA, disability management and worker’s compensation.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently under conditions of multiple deadlines and changing priorities to produce a large volume of high-quality work with meticulous attention to detail.
- Effective time management skills, including the ability to prioritize, work within assigned deadlines, and on cross-functional teams
- Ability to analyze and problem solve with great attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively work with and communicate with vendors and consultants
- Advanced level user with Microsoft Office products specifically MS Excel, MS Word
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively compose, send, and respond to internal and external email correspondence
- Superior accuracy and confidentiality required.
- Must possess strong organizing and prioritizing skills; strong customer-service orientation; excellent communication and decision-making skills.
- Prior experience working with HRIS systems, and other computer databases, Windows, and spreadsheet programs in HR applications.
- Position requires the ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Work productively in an environment with high levels of interruption.
- Concentrate in an open-office, “cubicle” environment.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day of their choosing , Caregiver Leave, Volunteer and School Visitation time off, paid holidays and a gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.