Executive Director, Heart of America
Reporting to the Region 6 Leader, the Chapter Executive is responsible for achieving growth and success for the Heart of America Chapter in line with the Association’s strategic plan, aligning activities and efforts with the plan’s goals. The position is responsible for effective management of the Chapter’s operations, budget, staff and volunteers, and for ensuring that it carries out the mission and goals of the Alzheimer's Association in the chapter’s designated territory and in collaboration with the region.
The position can be located at the Chapter office in Prairie Village, KS and reports to the Regional Leader.
* Develops and executes a strategic implementation plan with the Chapter’s staff leadership team and the Region 6 leader, to deliver on all stated Association strategic goals
* Leads and grows revenue opportunities including Walk to End Alzheimer’s®, The Longest Day®, and other Association events. Ensures donors are given opportunities to increase giving to any or all unrestricted and restricted opportunities and engage more fully with the Association. Collaborates with home office functional staff - such as national corporate partnerships, major gifts and planned gifts to lift up opportunities for increased giving and engagement.
* Leads key volunteer recruitment and supervise general volunteer recruitment to ensure appropriate resources are in place to achieve the chapter’s goals and objectives. Provides leadership to the Chapter’s Advisory Board, ensuring full engagement of the Board members in the strategic goals of the Association.
* Ensures ongoing local mission-related programming excellence, oversees program evaluation and needs analysis to maintain superior delivery.
* Ensures that chapter advocacy and public policy is robust; engages with elected officials and chapter volunteers to achieve state and federal metrics.
* Serves as community liaison by serving as principal spokesperson, participating in community groups and organizations that provide meaningful assistance to growth in the strategic plan, and collaborating with community partners to achieve strategic goals.
* Collaborates with other Chapter Executives in Region 6 (which encompasses the states of Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma), to identify and execute collaboratively on regional opportunities for success in the strategic plan.
* Creates and manage chapter budget, maintain financial records, and oversee daily office functions. Assures compliance with Association standards, policies and procedures, as well as legal requirements for nonprofit business operations in the chapter service area.
Required Knowledge and Experience:
* Proven experience in a leadership role with a non-profit (preferably a VHA), with prior achievement of growth in mission-driven activities and revenue. Alternatively, demonstrated leadership success in a for-profit environment with the ability to successfully translate skills to the non-profit arena may also be considered.
* Statewide or regional experience a plus
* Mass market special event fundraising experience strongly preferred, with other types of fundraising experience a plus.
* Community mobilization and/or volunteer recruitment and management experience.
* Effective communicator and experience as a dynamic community spokesperson.
* Experience interpreting data analytics, monitoring results, taking corrective actions, and creating productivity enhancements.
* Solid history of identifying, recruiting, developing and retaining staff and volunteers, building alignment and achieving goals around the strategic priorities.
* Proven ability to lead implementation across a spectrum of cross-functional initiatives.
* Excellent verbal, written, and organizational skills
* Superior management skills with ability to troubleshoot, resolve differences, and ability to gain wide-spread support in the course of managing projects.
* Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
* 8-10 years of progressive non-profit management experience with a minimum of five years mass-market special event fundraising experience OR five years management experience in a sales oriented organization.
* Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
* Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
* Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills; persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
* Excellent computer skills and analytical savvy to build, review, and analyze data. Proficiency in MS Office (required), and Google applications (preferred).
* Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to planning.
* Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
* Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and able to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
* Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
* Ability and willingness to travel across chapter territories, to National offices, and national events, as required. Occasional international travel may be required. Must possess valid driver’s license, access to reliable vehicle and proof of automobile insurance. Travel (including same day travel), is approximately 30%.
Job Reference #: 3272