Director, Workplace Wellness & Benefits
The Director, Workplace Wellness & Benefits oversees the continuous development, implementation and communication of all benefit functions including health and welfare and retirement plans across the Alzheimer’s Association. They will partner with leadership to provide direction for and drive employee benefit initiatives, ensuring that all programs support the organization's strategic objectives and are competitive, cost effective and in compliance with legal requirements. They will also lead, develop, and mentor a small team of benefits specialists.
This position is based at the Alzheimer Association’s Home Office in downtown Chicago, IL and reports to the Head of Human Resources.
* Develops and implements overall strategy for health & welfare and retirement programs ensuring competitive, cost-effective plans that drive a wellness culture.
* Contracts with and actively manages benefit plans, vendors, auditors, and consultants for services, premiums, and plan administration.
* Oversees and directs annual benefits budgeting process.
* Directs the employee communication strategy regarding benefit programs. Collaborates with vendors to develop and deliver materials and tools to support strategy.
* Develops and implements strategic goals for the department.
* Ensures that plans comply with federal, state and local laws and regulations. Establishes and monitors processes and controls to ensure ongoing compliance.
* Evaluates and analyzes the results of programs and services regularly and systemically; reports these and other metrics results to senior leaders regularly and on an ad hoc basis.
* Supports auditable and financially sound operation of qualified retirement and savings; prepares and provides information as needed by the investment committee to fulfill fiduciary requirements.
* Monitors and manages work processes within the benefits group.
* Supervises small team of benefits specialists.
* Manages benefit interfaces and related audit controls within HRIS applications.
* Oversees education reimbursement, leaves of absence and company loans policies.
* Ability to effectively plan, coordinate, and implement complex cross-functional projects with multiple competing priorities or perspectives
* Excellent interpersonal, leadership, and management skills and high professional standards for customer service and work quality; ability to exercise judgment in building relationships across all organizational levels and functions
* Work effectively in high-pressure situations that require sound decision making and may involve confidential or sensitive matters
* Keen problem-solving, critical thinking, deductive and inductive reasoning, and analytical skills to address both strategic benefit programs and unique, complex situations
* Exceptional written and verbal communication skills; ability to confidently present to diverse audiences at all levels of the organization
* Experience with relevant HR systems, applications, and tools
* Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, organizational development, or a related degree required; advanced degree in human resources preferred
* Minimum of 10 years of broad based, progressive experience designing and managing benefits, with at least 5 years’ experience in a leadership role
* Demonstrated success leading, managing and building teams. Ability to coach, mentor, and provide direction to diverse staff.
* Ability to interact tactfully and diplomatically and build collaborative, positive relationships across all levels of the organization.
* Strong planning, organization, delegation and decision-making abilities
* Demonstrated understanding of best practices and innovative practices and trends in benefits design and administration with the ability and willingness to dive deep and roll up his/her sleeves when needed
* Proven ability to achieve goals through influencing, partnering and developing productive relationships with senior leadership and line managers across the business
* Solutions-oriented self-starter with a proactive and inquisitive nature who can anticipate and preempt problems
Job Reference #: 3308