Director, Scientific Engagement
POSITION TITLE: Director, Scientific Engagement
REPORTS TO: Chief Science Officer
STATUS: Full-Time Exempt
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
The Alzheimer’s Association is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic and captivating spokesperson to serve in the role of Director of Scientific Engagement. This key role will be responsible for stimulating excitement for the Alzheimer’s Association scientific leadership nationwide, targeting Association events, initiatives and programs. Additionally the Director of Scientific Engagement will participate in the implementation of the Strategic Plan to Accelerate Research and participate in annual goal setting to achieve the goals of the strategic plan, and ensure the nationwide organization achieves full embrace of the Association’s scientific agenda.
Responsibilities include working with the Medical and Scientific Relations Division (Med Sci) including the Chief Science Officer, VPs and Directors to fulfill, track and update yearly goals and priority activities aimed at increasing scientific engagement of the Alzheimer’s Association network (staff and the public, including volunteers and donors). The Director of Scientific Engagement will also provide leadership to create and deliver inspiring and stimulating research updates around the country to regional and chapter community directed audiences. A critical component is the ability for this position to translate (to various audiences) the Association’s contribution to the Alzheimer’s scientific enterprise as well as an update on the state of Alzheimer’s research overall. The Director of Scientific Engagement will create and direct presentations for organizational use, and will be responsible for updating the content of the presentations. This position will also collaborate with colleagues in the Medical and Scientific Relations Division on scientific projects and initiatives and on the oversight and management of the Association’s strategic investment portfolio, as well as with the Public Relations team to assist with research media engagement, and the Relationship Development team to assist in development of strategic giving opportunities.
This position will report to the Chief Science Officer and will be located in Chicago, IL.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Outstanding ability to engage and stimulate audiences with scientific information and calls to action.
- Effectively communicate complicated science and research issues to various diverse audiences, including laypersons and media in one on one and group settings ranging from 10 to 1,000 people.
- Provide leadership and input on the strategic planning and implementation processes.
- Experience with hospital and/or clinical populations related to Alzheimer’s disease or dementia.
- Direct experience in conducting or administering Alzheimer’s disease research, preferably clinical or behavioral in nature.
- Proficient at managing complex relationships with external and internal stakeholders and assist in cultivation of collaborations for the advancement of the Association mission and science program initiatives.
- Ability to provide leadership, coaching, and operational direction as appropriate to diverse staff.
- PhD/MD in neuroscience related area or social, behavioral or related health science
- 7-10 years related experience in either an academic setting or neuro-science area of a pharmaceutical company
- Exceptional speaking skills to effectively convey information across technical/scientific/non-scientific audiences inclusive of written presentations
- Ability to translate scientific findings to various lay audiences
- Excellent scientific evaluation and communication skills with the ability to synthesize ideas from presentations and published literature
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment
- Demonstrated problem-solving and decision making skills and ability to work well under pressure
- Experience and willingness to present/convene meetings in a virtual setting/environment
- Computer proficiency in MS Office including PowerPoint and appropriate software programs relating to the research
- Experience in writing/reading/analyzing scientific publications
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout the US with occasional international travel. Estimated travel 50% (once it is safe to travel again). Must possess valid passport and driver’s license.