Director, Science Conference Strategies
ABOUT THE ALZHEIMER’S ASSOCIATION:
Be part of the movement to end Alzheimer’s
Right now, millions of Americans are facing the devastation of Alzheimer’s. This disease is robbing us of our finances, our families and our futures - but at the Alzheimer’s Association, we’re relentlessly working to change that by addressing the challenges in front of us with speed and without limitations or boundaries. With our network of more than 70 chapters across the country, we’re advancing world-class research, ensuring access to gold-standard care and support, and hiring talented, mission-driven people who make it all happen.
The Alzheimer’s Association has been ranked as one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times the last ten years in a row, recognizing our leadership, competitive compensation and benefits, flexibility and mission-driven atmosphere. It takes a uniquely motivated person to be a part of our team - and we believe that person could be you.
The Director, Research Conferences, will lead opportunities to identify and maximize attendance at the Association’s leading research conference in the Alzheimer’s disease space - AAIC. In addition, the incumbent will create added value, visibility and an exciting yet consistent experience for AAIC satellite event attendees annually in Latin America, Asia and Australia (current total of three satellite events annually, with potential to add more in future).
Based at the Association’s Home Office in downtown Chicago, this position requires travel within the US and internationally. Estimated travel up to 50%. This position reports the Vice President, Global Conferences and Events.
The ideal candidate will have a background in the not-for-profit industry that combines sales, marketing and conference services with an affinity for educational events of a scientific nature. The incumbent will possess a strategic focus to understand the objectives and resources, and create exciting new opportunities that combine revenue growth and increased attendance with a heightened awareness of the Association as the leading research convener in the Alzheimer’s disease space.
This position will interact with a wide variety of executives and other staff across functions, ISTAART members and conference attendees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the leadership and management of progressively growing the AAIC conference and satellite conferences through increased attendance and revenues.
- Enhance the image of the Association’s conferences by elevating the quality of the events and providing a strong attendee experience.
- Work in partnership with other leaders to develop and implement a business strategy designed to grow revenue and enhance profitability and productivity- so that the events are recognized as "Best-In-Class."
- Serve as brand ambassador and talent magnet, enhancing the Alzheimer’s Association visibility by actively participating in key industry events and cultivating an active professional network.
- Establish and cultivate a database of qualified sales prospects both in and outside of the industry.
- Oversee finalization of sponsor contracts and fulfilment.
- Oversee, negotiate and execute all in-kind trade agreements with Alzheimer’s Association service providers requesting advertising, exhibit space and/or sponsor recognition.
- Create and distribute fulfillment reports that demonstrate the key components and deliverables of the program in order to document the sponsor’s ROI.
- Collaborate with the Conference Services, Marketing and Medical & Scientific teams to create promotional copy for print and electronic promotional materials.
- Research prospective attendees through proven and novel strategies including internet research, trade show lists, referrals, yellow pages, various professional directories and personal investigation Source and close new attendees through referrals, cold calling, networking, and other means (tradeshows, regional organizations, etc.). Cultivate and maintain long term relationships with attendees by delivering elite customer service; engage them by using knowledge of their industry and organization. Formulate sales plan to achieve monthly, quarterly, and annual sales targets.
- Make compelling, driven recommendations for growth of AAIC and satellite events, which when executed, result in appropriate additional attendee base and revenue.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, strategy or a related field.
- 7-10 years progressive experience in the not-for-profit industry, preferably in a medical or healthcare national organization. Significant experience in business.
- development, with a proven track record of launching and/or driving significant growth in revenue and attendee base for large events.
- Relevant/transferrable experience with an approach that is visionary, proactive and goal-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal, organization and communication skills, with the ability to work with equanimity under pressure and with people of varying levels and personalities.
- Ability to navigate and thrive in a mid to large size, national organization that prioritizes collaboration and cross functional engagement to achieve goals.
- Understanding/ affinity for topics that are of a scientific nature; basic knowledge of Alzheimer’s disease and dedication to our mission.
- Excellent analytic skills including ability to gather and analyze data relevant to the scope of this position.
- Experience managing P&L strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as needed. Must possess valid US (or other nationality) passport. Estimated travel is 50%.