Director, Real Estate
The Alzheimer’s Association Chicago office seeks a dynamic Director of Real Estate responsible for managing an office real estate portfolio consisting of 280 locations as well as designing and implementing internal audits of common area operating expenses, comparative metrics for portfolio as relevant for chapters, workplace strategy with HR, design of space layouts for collaboration and space utilization, custom reports in ProLease Database and workplace space standards. This position will supervise real estate asset manager; will work closely with legal staff, field location executives, chapter executive’s, human resources on talent retention and workplace standards, and finance and area leaders across the nation. In addition, this position will supervise and lead the relationship with a nationwide corporate real estate brokerage firm for current leases, competitive market analysis and bidding, lease renewals, owned properties and sale of gift real estate. Some tenant improvement management and project management will be involved to assist chapters and make sure new sites are ready for occupancy by set deadline.
This position is based in the Chicago, IL and reports to the General Counsel.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Define business requirements (expansion, renewal, contraction) and objectives including exit strategies appropriate to transaction.
* Ensure that requirements and completion checklists are in place and followed from inception to move with all items (lease abstract, floor plan, location address sent to insurance, etc.) included in ProLease database and distributed to the chapters.
* Define field location requirements (square footage, parking, volunteer collaboration areas, conference room needs) and preferred amenities.
* Recommend workplace space strategies and creative layouts for staff retention.
* Supervise real estate asset manager.
* Supervise national real estate brokerage firm and be lead liaison. Set performance metrics for brokerage firm.
* Be liaison or assign real estate asset manager as liaison between field executives and chapter one point of contact with real estate brokerage firm representatives.
* Develop timeline outlining deadlines and responsibilities.
* Work with local broker assigned, field executive and legal to develop non-binding term sheet or letter of intent for each transaction. Ensure all terms are included in final lease document signed and ensure that chapter has an opportunity to add terms necessary for their specific location and circumstances.
* Interface with chapter executives, field executives, regional finance, regional and area leaders updating and communicating status of transaction and progress.
* Financial analysis, reporting, variance reporting and other reports as necessary for the portfolio.
* Provide competitive bidding analysis for each new lease or renewal or sole source justification.
* Manage the transaction process to ensure that all pertinent information is readily available for decision making purposes.
* Using lease database create reports or methodology for sites handled of notifying field and chapter executives of pertinent lease data, critical dates, contacts, notification deadlines and a summary of lease information by site.
* Supervise or perform desk top audits of landlord pass-through common operating expenses.
* Review ProLease Database and suggest additions to allow insertion of layouts, site photos, type of furniture, carpet and other fixtures at the location to assist Office Services with their requests from chapters.
* Bachelor’s Degree
* 6-10 years of real estate portfolio management experience including small space offices
* Non-profit experience preferred
* Supervisory experience
* Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills
* Excellent customer service and communication skills
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office software and ProLease database or other lease software preferred
* Ability to work under stress and handle multiple projects at one time
* Ability to build strong relationships, and to become a trusted resource throughout the Association
* Ability to travel occasionally, less than 10%
Job Reference #: 3702