Director, Public Relations & Communications
Reporting to the Cleveland Area leader, the Director of Public Relations & Communications is a strategic, innovative and experienced chief communications officer who provides vision, leadership and direction for Ohio communications. Through crafting the Association’s communications and public relations strategies and messaging at the state level, they will play a critical role in the Alzheimer’s Association’s programmatic and branding work, leading engagement of the media and enhancing the Alzheimer’s Association’s visibility, image and influence through effective communications.
As the Storyteller-in-Chief, this position works with each community to provide coverage of home-office, statewide and local issues and events and creates and disseminates the narrative for the Association in Ohio by reporting and writing and directing the powerful stories of resilience, heartbreak, passion for the mission and the Association’s relentless push to find a cure and to help each state’s Alzheimer’s families.
Using unified messaging and multi-platforms, they will seek new opportunities to expand reach and drive people in Ohio to act and engage through a combination of earned traditional media, social media, paid advertising and donated media.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a strategic partner for the Ohio Leadership Team by providing vision, leadership and direction for all Ohio Chapter communications
- Crafts the Association’s public relations strategies and messaging at the state level in Ohio
- Leads media engagement in Ohio’s six chapters and markets with a keen focus on building relationships with key media partners. Enhances the Association’s visibility, image and influence through a combination of earned traditional media, social media, paid advertising and donated media.
- Supervises the Manager of Communications for Ohio and, as needs dictate, a part-time employee or contractor
- Manages statewide advertising budgets and statewide and local media/digital promotional buys
- Acts as a content strategist for Ohio Chapter priority fundraising events including Walk to End Alzheimer’s, Reason to Hope, The Longest Day and Galas
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or relevant field. Master’s degree preferred
- 7-10 years of progressive, professional experience leading communications strategy, media engagement, or public relations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to think strategically, identify new possibilities and analyze opportunities
- Superb communicator with exceptional writing abilities; must have keen attention to detail, spelling and grammar to ensure accuracy, consistency, and alignment with the Association’s brand guidelines
- Ability to understand news with and understanding of what news and media organizations need to develop outreach strategies and pitches
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including the ability to communicate with and motivate internal and external communities to act on concern and awareness initiatives.
- Proven ability to effectively develop new media strategies, build processes lead implementation across the region to support communications strategies
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for the job.
- Ability and willingness to travel regionally as needed for the role. Most such travel will be same day; however, occasional overnight trips may be required.
Position Location: Beachwood, OH
Full time or Part time: Full time based on a 37.5 hour work week
Position Grade: 208
Reports To: Cleveland Area / Greater East Ohio Community Executive
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia- by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,900 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life-changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may develop the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to explore who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work for the last twelve years in a row.
At the Alzheimer's Association®, we believe that diverse perspectives are critical to achieving health equity - meaning that all communities have a fair and just opportunity for early diagnosis and access to risk reduction and quality care. The Association is committed to engaging underrepresented and underserved communities and responding with resources and education to address the disproportionate impact of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.