Director of Media Relations and Communications
Provide leadership for the implementation of communications, media relations, event marketing, brand management and audience development strategies for the Alzheimer's Association Nebraska Chapter. The Director of Communications will execute and monitor the Chapter communication plan and maintain alignment with the overall Association’s strategic plan.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Initiate, develop, and steward relationships with statewide media contacts in TV, radio and print to assist in meeting Chapter wide strategic goals.
- Serve as part of the Nebraska Chapter’s Leadership Team to ensure integration of communication strategies in relation to the Chapter’s strategic goals.
- Develop and implement a communications and public relations plan to build awareness of the Chapter’s mission, community education programs and fundraising initiatives across the state of Nebraska.
- Plan and execute internal and external communication strategies.
- Manage and create content for Chapter social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.)
- Manage all brand activities and provide guidance and oversight to staff members on key messaging.
- Collaborate with Development staff to identify and cultivate potential media sponsors for Chapter fundraising events, including the Association’s signature fundraising event Walk to End Alzheimer’s.
- Responsible for all marketing and communication materials including print, digital and collateral design, web content, email newsletters, social media profiles, and advertising.
- Assure compliance with all Alzheimer’s Association branding policies, procedures, standards and applicable regulatory requirements; promote Association-wide programs and initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required. In marketing or public relations preferred.
- 5 - 7 years of leadership experience in marketing, public relations, communications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced level writing for digital communications such as enews, MAT releases, social media and website.
- Design experience (Adobe Creative Suite).
- Proven ability to develop key stories and successful media pitches.
- Knowledge of community media resources.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Proven success in building and maintaining key media relationships to help meet strategic goals.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills; strong public speaking skills.
- Ability to listen effectively.
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment.
- Possess high level of integrity, diplomacy, and initiative.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work on evenings and weekends if necessary.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 25 lbs, bend and stoop.
- Ability to travel.
- Must have valid driver’s license, access to reliable vehicle, good driving record and proof of automobile insurance.
Title: Director of Media Relations and Communications
Position Location: Omaha, NE
Full time or Part time: Full Time
Position Grade: 108
Reports To: Executive Director
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia- by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,900 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life-changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may develop the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to explore who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work for the last twelve years in a row.
At the Alzheimer's Association®, we believe that diverse perspectives are critical to achieving health equity - meaning that all communities have a fair and just opportunity for early diagnosis and access to risk reduction and quality care. The Association is committed to engaging underrepresented and underserved communities and responding with resources and education to address the disproportionate impact of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.