Director of Development
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with the disease, their caregivers, and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last nine years in a row.
The Director of Development and Communications will provide leadership and direction for the enhancement, oversight and administration of a diversified, comprehensive development plan that is aligned with the Association strategic plan. This position carries responsibility for the cultivation of corporate sponsorships, relationship events, Walk to End Alzheimer's and The Longest Day revenue to fund the mission of the Association. In addition, the Director of Development and Communications for the California Central Coast Chapter will explore new fundraising activities for continued Chapter revenue growth, recruit and work with leadership volunteers and supervise a team of development and communications staff.
This position will report to the Executive Director and will be located in Santa Barbara, CA.
* Actively participate in the Chapter’s Management Team to ensure effective integration of the strategic directions into the Development Plan.
* Provide senior level Chapter leadership, oversight and implementation of fundraising programs to ensure a diverse revenue stream from corporate sponsorship and other corporate gifts, Walk to End Alzheimer's, The Longest Day and other special events.
* Provide leadership to appropriate board committees to ensure timely and responsible decision-making.
* Supervise the Relationship Event program and serve as a leader to staff planning Alzheimer’s Comedy Initiative, Swing to Remember, and RivALZ events throughout the Chapter.
* Manage corporate relationships to include securing new event sponsors, increasing commitment from existing sponsors and ensuring benefit fulfillment.
* Develop marketing strategies, including utilization of local media, to promote and increase special event awareness, visibility and participation.
* Ensure completion and compliance of third party agreements.
* Evaluate current donor base to identify opportunities to expand the corporate landscape. Build understanding for the Alzheimer's Association - its research role, programs and services - in all communications with current and potential donors.
* Work closely with the Relationship Development team and Major Gift Officer to maintain a portfolio of major gift donors/prospects; renew and upgrade intermediate gift donors as well as increase the number of major and planned gifts.
* Manage the Chapter’s grants program. Manage the contracted grant writers and collaborate with the VP of Programs in the writing and editing of grant applications. Ensure compliance with all reporting of program and financial performance.
* Supervise, develop, evaluate and support development staff.
* Develop an effective and "cause-dedicated" pool of effective volunteers, including strong chairs to lead all special events planning and implementation.
* Represent Chapter at public and media events, conferences and workshops.
* Ensure compliance with all National Association policies, procedures, standards and applicable regulatory requirements.
* Promote Association-wide programs and initiatives. Ensure proper preparation and timely submission of reports as requested and required.
* A Bachelor's Degree in sales/marketing or a related field; CFRE preferred
* A minimum of 7 years of proven leadership experience in professional fundraising and utilizing diversified fundraising programs. Experience with mass market events like Walk preferred
* Strong experience making and closing fundraising requests of individual and groups to meet fund development goals
* Experience in strategic planning, budget development and management
* Experience in supervising and supporting staff and volunteers
* Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to speak publicly in large and small groups and network
* Ability to work effectively with volunteers, staff and external contacts, including the ability to develop strong relationships in the community
* Ability to work effectively with diverse populations and demonstrate a dedication to inclusion
* Ability to lead, guide and inspire staff and volunteers to achieve goals and objectives while demonstrating and promoting open communication, transparency and teamwork
* Ability to multitask and handle changing priorities in a fast paced environment, including demonstrating attention to detail and solid project management skills
* Ability to manage large numbers of volunteers with diplomacy
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Internet and database/fundraising applications, preferably Convio
* Ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally as needed to perform job duties
* Must have access to a reliable personal vehicle, valid driver's license and proof insurance
* Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
* Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
Job Reference #: 3313