Director of Communications
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with the disease, their care givers, and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last nine years in a row.
The Director of Communications will deliver on a wide range of Chapter and National goals and objectives. This position serves as the Chapter’s communications and marketing leader, charged with developing, enhancing and vigorously maintaining the Association’s full-mission branding, image and messaging within the community and to the media, government, prospective funders and others. Additionally, the position will oversee the Chapter’s presence on all internet and social media channels.
* In collaboration with the national Communications team based in Chicago, develop and implement organization-wide messaging, communications, public relations, advertising and social media policies and programs.
* Drive key media, public relations and marketing activities including messaging, brand integrity, local earned media impressions, social media, media buys, crisis response, advertising materials, cause marketing, promotional efforts and publicity and marketing initiatives.
* Coordinate engagements and scripting, ensuring staff, volunteers and other spokespeople are prepared, equipped and empowered with clear mission narratives.
* Represent the organization to the community, government and media, seeking and developing opportunities to promote goals, objectives, programming, services, support, and the enhancement the image of the organization within the community.
* Producing communication and marketing pieces, including video/film to support major events and awareness.
* Managing department budget and maximize the impact of media buys, printing, mass mailings and media production at favorable rates.
* Recruit, cultivate, support and manage volunteer relationships to advance the mission of the Alzheimer's Association.
* A Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communication, Public Relations or a related field
* A minimum of ten years of experience in communications and public relations
* A minimum of five years of experience working with Web-based and social media communications at a management level
* Experience managing volunteer-led programs, including recruitment, training, engagement, supervision and evaluation of volunteers
* Experience managing outside vendors and contractors, with seasoned negotiating and media buying skills
* Experience in strategic planning, budget development and management
* Ability to set clear goals, organize projects, establish and manage budgets, develop work processes and supervise professionals
* An awareness and sensitivity to branding and key messaging within a mission-based organization
* Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to speak publicly in large and small groups and network
* Ability to work effectively with volunteers, staff and external contacts, including the ability to develop strong relationships in the community
* Ability to work effectively with diverse populations and demonstrate a dedication to inclusion
* Ability to lead, guide and inspire staff and volunteers to achieve goals and objectives while demonstrating and promoting open communication, transparency and teamwork
* Strong awareness of the social, economic and political environment in which the Association operates
* Ability to multitask and handle changing priorities in a fast paced environment, including demonstrating attention to detail and solid project management skills
* Ability to use creativity, imagination and innovation in developing and executing messaging and approaches to maximizing reach and visibility
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, Internet, social media platforms and other work-related software
* Ability to travel locally, regionally and nationally as needed to perform job duties
* Must have access to a reliable personal vehicle, valid driver's license and proof insurance
* Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
* Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs
Job Reference #: 3222