Director, Budgeting & Financial Reporting
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research, to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
* Responsible for coordinating the entire budget process for all of the chapters and the home office (76 business units). The role is of key importance to the Association in order to drive the execution of budget discipline throughout the organization as required by Senior Management. The position will report directly to the VP of Finance and will collaborate with the VP of Finance to create the budget calendar. The role will be responsible for documenting, training on and supporting the budget process for the Association. This position will work closely with Finance Area Leads, Finance Region Directors, and the Home Office Controller and technical resources to ensure that the budget process. The budgeting responsibilities of the position will consist of coordinating the technical tools and working with all levels of the organization to provide guidance on detail levels and amounts to budget.
* The Financial Reporting element of the role will encompass coordinating how the chapters, regions, areas, and overall organization measure and report financial results. This will entail understanding key drivers for financial reporting at all levels of the organization and working with management to evaluate existing reports and determine the need for new or updated reports; and then coordinating with report development staff to create, test and deploy report templates to address the needs.
* This position will be working out of our downtown office in Chicago, IL
Essential Job Responsibilities
* Lead the development and execution of the Association’s entire annual budget process
* Establish and maintain the project plan for budget process
* Draft the Budget Guide and all accompanying materials, including the budget timeline
* Work with HR to ensure their Position Control Report is available and updated timely and regularly
Provide annual training to Home Office and Chapter budget managers and finance staff
* Collaboration with the Finance Area Leads and Finance Region Directors regarding the budget process for the Area, Regions and Chapters.
* Responsible for all Association-wide budget information/imports into the budget system
* Main point of contact for questions from both Home Office and Chapter budget managers and other finance staff
* Work with the Home Office Development department on annual forecast and budget
* Ensure budget managers meet submission deadlines
* Responsible for the mid-year forecast and any additional forecasts requested by the Board of Directors
* Obtain feedback and recommendations from budget managers on the overall process
* Manage changes to the budget process in connection to changes in the accounting, budgeting and financial reporting software
* Responsible for overall design and content of the Association’s financial reporting
* Maintain priority list of all financial reporting requests
* Develop an automated process for distributing financial reports to end users
* Lead the process of developing variance reporting and ensuring budget managers are current with the process
* Manage changes to the financial reporting process in connection to changes in the accounting, budgeting and financial reporting software
* Deliver documentation for the financial reporting environment including overview of report, parameter settings and reporting results examples
* Address training on financial reporting for all staff responsible for running reports
* Collaborate to develop and analyze budget allocations with Financial Analysis & Matrix dept
* Meet and answer budget questions
* Collaborate with FALs on budget and financial reporting for the chapters
* Create and generate reports (do we look for someone with BI360 experience - Equivalent to BI360 or better.) Extensive Excel experience imperative
* Analyze annual budget process
* Other duties as needed or required.
* Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. CPA a plus
* At least 7 years leadership level experience with a large ($100M and/or multiple units) organization or company, preferably with a not for profit organization.
* 5 years of budgeting and reporting experience, understanding and working with complex systems, report writing, budget training, etc
* Excellent organization skills with superb customer services
* Excellent track record of leading and managing a team. Ability to manage a team of geographically dispersed staff
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and other databases, especially MS Excel
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills, detail-oriented
* Professional presence with well-honed communications skills, both written and verbal.
* Ability to handle stressful situations and meet deadlines
* Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
* Solid knowledge and application of GAAP highly preferred
* Familiarity with Sage 500 and BI 360 or equivalent in accounting systems
Job Reference #: 3587