Digital and Media Relations Manager
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Communications and Marketing, the Digital and Media Relations Manager is responsible ensuring for the strategic positioning of the Alzheimer's Association and its brand throughout the National Capital Area Chapter’s region (District of Columbia, five counties in Maryland and 11 counties in Virginia) through traditional and digital media engagement. This position is responsible for supporting the planning and execution of the Chapter’s annual strategic marketing and communications plan to support achievement of the Association’s strategic goals. This position reports to the Senior Director, Communication and Marketing and is based in McLean, VA.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Participate in the development and execution of communications and marketing plans to support annual and long-term strategic goals and initiatives.
- Work with cross-departmental teams, including development and programs and services, to develop strategies to further the Association’s mission and deliver messages clearly and effectively.
- Manage Chapter digital communications, including social media and weekly e-newsletter, by developing and implementing strategies, planning calendars and content for growth and constituent engagement.
- Provide back-up social media support to sister chapters in Region 14 as needed.
- Identify and implement digital/emerging media opportunities to promote advocacy efforts, fundraising initiatives, programs and services, and research based on local, regional, national and international events and opportunities.
- Attend Association events, including special events, conferences, advocacy events, to provide "real-time" social media engagement.
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers to support implementation of a robust social media program, including a base of social media ambassadors and influencers to enhance and expand message delivery.
- Collaborate with Region 14 advocacy staff and Alzheimer’s Impact Movement staff to develop and implement social media strategies specific to public policy activities and interaction with federal and state elected officials to ensure compliance with Association guidelines.
- Develop and disseminate press releases, media advisories, calendar announcements and other alerts to traditional and online media outlets throughout the Chapter’s region.
- Utilize the annual communications calendar, tool kits and other resources to develop and prioritize stories for pitches to local media and to ensure the best leverage of timely articles versus feature reporting.
- Identify opportunities to publicize Chapter initiatives, programs and events and to respond to news stories related to Alzheimer’s disease, national or local programs, services and related activities.
- Work with staff to identify and vet appropriate spokespersons for stories.
- Provide interview preparation and media training to staff and spokespeople, including board members, volunteers, people with the disease, caregivers and family members.
- Manage media interviews as assigned or when the Senior Director, Communications and Marketing is not available.
- Develop, maintain and enhance strong relationship with members of the local media.
- Maintain and update the list of local media contacts.
- Maintain accurate records regarding media engagement, story pitches and placement, and social media impressions to meet reporting deadlines and achieve annual goals.
- Monitor, analyze and report on media coverage and trends.
- Actively maintain a strong knowledge base of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia issues, Association and Chapter services, activities and initiatives.
- Represent the Association at public events, fundraisers and media events; serving as an alternate spokesperson behind the Chapter President & CEO and the
- Senior Director, Communications and Marketing.
- Assure compliance with all Association branding and style guidelines, operations, policies, procedures, standards and applicable requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field.
- Three to five years of relevant experience, preferably in non-profit or public service.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and knowledge of AP style.
- Flexible, collaborative and proactive; self-starter with the ability to work well independently and with cross-functional teams.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities, work under pressure of a deadline and maintain promised deliverables.
- High level of integrity, diplomacy and initiative, with absolute commitment to confidentiality.
- Working knowledge of prominent social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, early mornings and weekends; ability to travel if required.
- Valid driver’s license, proof of vehicle insurance, and access to reliable personal vehicle to meet travel requirements.
- Passion for the Alzheimer’s Association’s mission and work.
Job Reference #: 3639