Community Engagement Manager
POSITION TITLE: Community Engagement Manager
STATUS: Full-Time Exempt
LOCATION: Edina, MN
The Alzheimer's Association is working to address disparities in Alzheimers and other forms of dementia. The purpose of this role is to increase reach, access, and participation in care and support amongst communities disproportionately impacted by the disease (e.g. BIPOC and LGBTQ communities) by:
- Developing mission-driven partnerships with organizations serving diverse communities, and
- Recruiting, managing and mobilizing diverse volunteers to deliver Alzheimer’s Association core programs/services.
Under the direction of the Senior Community Services Manager, the Community Engagement Manager is responsible for advancing all Alzheimer’s Association mission pillars and strategic plan goals, particularly in the areas of Diversity & Inclusion, Care & Support, Concern & Awareness and Building Revenue.
The position is approximately 50% community partnership development, 40% volunteer recruitment/management/mobilizing, and 10% internal responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions:
Community Partnership Development (50%)
- Connect diverse constituents to Alzheimer's Association programs and services.
- Grow mission-driven partnerships with organizations serving diverse communities including, but not limited to: businesses, chambers, community-based organizations, faith communities, academic institutions, social service organizations, non-profits, long-term care and health systems.
- Speak to individuals, organizations and communities about the Alzheimer's Association's mission, vision, values, strategic plan/priorities and programs/services. For example, this may include basic education about the disease, brain health, risk reduction. research, disparities, resources and basic content in core programs/classes.
- Engage existing and new diverse community partners to understand their emerging priorities and unmet needs, and (re)assess areas of intersection with Alzheimer's Association strategic priorities.
- Serve as a conduit between community partners and team members in order to build the capacity of the team relative to cultural community engagement.
- Partner with the Care & Support team to 1) prioritize and cultivate strategic partnerships to increase participation of diverse constituents in core programs and services (helpline, care consultations, support groups, education), and 2) enhance the cultural-responsiveness of Alzheimer's Association core programs/services.
- Partner with the Marketing and Communications team to advance awareness and concern amongst diverse communities about the full mission of the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Partner with the Development team to foster engagement of diverse community partners in fundraising events, individual giving, corporations, employee resource groups and foundations/organizations.
- Partner with the Health Systems Director to 1) improve early detection, diagnosis and care amongst health systems/clinicians serving diverse patient populations, 2) advance health systems strategy amongst health systems and providers service diverse populations, and 3) support the adoption of products and models of care.
- Partner with the Public Policy staff to develop and implement grassroots advocate volunteer recruitment plans, particularly for diverse communities.
Volunteer Recruitment, Mobilization & Management (40%):
- Partner with Chapter staff, board, volunteers and community partners to recruit, mobilize and manage diverse volunteers.
- Partner with the program team in helping achieve the Alzheimer’s Association Care & Support goals by advancing recruitment, mobilization and management of diverse volunteers and advancement of volunteer-powered program delivery.
- Partner with the Director of Volunteer Engagement to identify opportunities to recruit and mobilize diverse volunteers across all mission pillars and address barriers to recruitment and volunteer-powered program delivery.
- Ensure all volunteers complete all necessary onboarding, training related to the volunteer position.
- Provide mentorship and coaching to volunteers in the mobilization of mission delivery through frequent communication and annual mission conversations.
Internal Responsibilities 10%
- Partner with the Director of Diversity and Inclusion to support the implementation of the Chapter-level Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Action Plan.
- Provide effective and positive communication with our staff, board, volunteers, community partners and other constituents.
- Participate in and contribute to program planning, budget development/tracking, delivery and evaluation.
- Participates in the delivery of grant related activities and related documentation as directed.
- Document work in a timely, consistent and thorough manner in databases as required (e,g, Personify, Moves Management) as required.
- Align with and practice fidelity to standard internal workflow, processes and procedures.
- Consistent, thorough and timely documentation. Timely submission of expenses.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
- 2 years of experience in related field of community engagement
- Demonstrated experience collaborating/partnering with diverse individuals/ organizations/communities, cultivating partnerships with a variety of diverse community-based organizations, and recruiting/ mobilizing/managing others (ideally volunteers).
- Demonstrated experience building rapport/trust, assessing needs, articulating a value proposition, and influencing/persuading
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills (including active listening), relational skills, interpersonal skills,
- Strong organizational, coordination and project management skills. Strong skills in follow-through, reliability, and documentation.
- Demonstrated experience working with, and building partnerships with, diverse individuals, organizations and communities.
- Demonstrates emotional intelligence and commitment to cultural competence.
- This role functions as an integral part of the team; collaboration, teamwork, and capacity-building are critical. This is not an individual contributor role or a consulting position.
Alzheimer’s Association is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.