Communications Specialist – Capital of Texas Chapter
Location: Austin, TX
Work Hours: Full-time
Reports To: Executive Director
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
In coordination with Executive Director, develop and implement a communications and marketing plan for the Capital of Texas Chapter designed to increase visibility, name recognition, awareness, and engagement. Manage media relations, marketing and advertising materials, and Chapter promotion. Coordinate strategies with the Development, Program, and Public Policy departments. Provide support to other Chapters in the state, as necessary.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and cultivate external relationships to increase media placements, partnerships and increase visibility of the Association throughout service area.
- Promote and publicize Chapter activities to maximize visibility and participation.
- Oversee the creative and design of copy, digital images, video, social media, print advertising campaigns, and any other projects that connect the public to our organization.
- Develop Chapter spokespersons, working with Chapter staff, through interview scheduling and individual coaching.
- Coordinate the Chapter Communications and Marketing plans with the Development, Public Policy, and Program Departments.
- Manage social media for the Chapter as well as maintaining the Chapter website.
- Track and report statistical data from the provision of services.
- Make presentations chapter wide as needed.
- Coordinate public relations for the Chapter.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing, or related field.
- 1-2 years of experience in communications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks on a deadline.
- Attention to detail and ability to proofread and edit.
- Professional attitude and appearance.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and Windows. Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and basic HTML editing.
- Experience recording and editing video for social media
- Experience with StreamLabs or similar OBS a plus
- Ability to type on a keyboard
- Ability to work under pressure
- Must be able to lift or move 25 pounds
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule
- Must have access to reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous PTO as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day of their choosing , Caregiver Leave, Volunteer and School Visitation time off, paid holidays and a gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.