Right now, millions of Americans are facing the devastation of Alzheimer’s. This disease is robbing us of our finances, our families and our futures - but at the Alzheimer’s Association, we’re relentlessly working to change that by addressing the challenges in front of us with speed and without limitations or boundaries. With our network of more than 75 chapters across the country, we’re advancing world-class research, ensuring access to gold-standard care and support, and hiring talented, mission-driven people who make it all happen.
The Alzheimer’s Association has been ranked as one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times nine years in a row, recognizing our leadership, competitive compensation and benefits, flexibility and mission-driven atmosphere. It takes a uniquely motivated person to be a part of our team - but we believe that person could be you.
The Communications Director will provide management level leadership and implementation of marketing, communications, media relations, event sponsorship, brand management and audience development for the Alzheimer's Association Iowa Chapter. The Communications Director will execute and monitor the Marketing Communication plan and maintain alignment with the Association’s strategic plan. This position will provide leadership to the Marketing/Communications committee and the Board.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as part of the Chapter Management Team to ensure integration of marketing/communications strategies and opportunities in relation to the organization’s operational and strategic plan.
- Provide supervisory leadership for the Communications Coordinator
- Provide leadership of the Communications Volunteer Committee and work closely with other board committees to ensure timely action and clear decision-making on chapter-wide goals and objective
- Responsible for the recruitment, training, supervision and coaching of communications volunteers
- Assure compliance with all Association branding policies, procedures, standards and applicable regulatory requirements; promote Association-wide programs and initiatives
- Manage communication and print material, newsletter, advertising, media relations, web content and design as well as strategies for media/spokesperson development
- Create, maintain and enhance relationships with constituents, community partners, corporations and other key stakeholder groups across the region
- Manage all brand activities and provide guidance and oversight to Association staff on key messages, promotion events, web and other communications as assigned
- Work with Executive Director, Board and other staff and volunteer bodies to position the Association and its services to maximize public awareness, development and business opportunities
- Work closely with regional office staff to identify and build the Association’s presence and access in rural areas.
- Represent the Association at appropriate public events, conferences, and workshops
- Provide media relations for Association and fill role as primary media contact
- Develop and maintain current listing of media contacts throughout the region; disseminate press updates, news releases, and feature materials
- Design, develop and implement the communications and public relations to build awareness of the organization’s mission, programs and achievements
- Generate opportunities to increase awareness and financial support for the Association by collaborating on fundraising events and program services initiatives
- Design measurements and monitor the effectiveness of marketing efforts
- Manage and create, produce, and distribute marketing materials including advertising, brochures, press kits, annual report, newsletter and other promotional materials; write articles and design layout
- Manage and allocate marketing budgets
- Represent chapter’s Communications Department at National level when applicable
- Develop a sense of shared mission with the senior staff to jointly achieve organization-wide goals and support the success of each department
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism preferred or related work experience.
- 3-5 years of leadership experience in marketing, communications and/or development.
- Proven success in building and maintaining key relationships and meeting strategic goals
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Proven media relations experience; ability to be creative in identifying and executing media opportunities
- Proven experience in managing successful social media campaigns
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Apps, Social Media and Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge, Convio, RedDot CMS preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to travel locally and regionally as needed to perform job duties
- Ability to work independently and in a team-oriented environment
- Possesses valid driver’s license, access to reliable vehicle, and proof of insurance