The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research, to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
The Communications Specialist builds awareness of the Illinois Chapter in central and southern Illinois through media placement and other public relations techniques to measurably increase use of Chapter services and attendance at Chapter programs and events. They manage and expand the Chapter’s use of social media, including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, along with emerging social media outlets. This role is also responsible for creating content for various chapter publications.
This position will be based in either the Peoria, IL office or the Springfield, IL office of the Illinois Chapter and reports to the Senior Manager, Media Relations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
* Establishes and maintains strong, productive relationships with members of the media.
* Identifies and acts on opportunities to promote Chapter activities and increase awareness of Association through various media outlets.
* Tracks media impressions and compares to National office’s impression report for Chapter territory to ensure accuracy.
* Serves as point of contact for interviews as necessary.
* Connects with account executives at various media outlets to purchase advertising to promote chapter activities.
* Manages the Chapter’s daily social media presence in Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. to promote the Chapter’s programs and services and to encourage financial support of the Chapter.
* Researches and develops new outreach efforts through social media as appropriate.
* Grows audiences on social media (Friends, Fans, Followers, etc.)
* Develops efficient methods for posting social media Chapter updates.
* Researches opportunities for social media advertising such as Google Grant program
* Writes social media content, promotional materials and occasional editorial content for inclusion in external print publications and on the Chapter’s website.
* Occasionally creates or updates materials using basic graphic design skills
* Manages photography and/or video for special events: recruits and utilizes volunteers, coordinates photos taken by other staff, or takes photos.
* Works with development and program staff to coordinate public relations and social media activities around their efforts.
* Collaborates closely with public policy staff who maintain social media presence for advocacy activities
* Coordinates with Chapter website staff to promote social media links, etc.
* Ability to travel for meetings within the Central Illinois area and ability to travel and work at our different offices located in Peoria, Bloomington, Springfield.
* Other duties and projects as needed.
* Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related field of study is required
* 1-3 years’ progressive professional experience with demonstrated success in public relations, communications, and/or marketing.
* Knowledge of media, communications, and dissemination techniques and methods is required
* Excellent effective verbal and written communication skills to engage with a diverse audience of internal and external partners, constituents, as well as current and potential volunteers with varying levels of expertise
* Understanding of and proficiency using social media sites professionally to serve as the voice of the Chapter (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.)
* Proficient with Windows, Microsoft office, Google Office Suite, and various social media sites
* Ability to work individually with minimal supervision and collaboratively as part of a team
* Ability to organize, prioritize, and accomplish work effectively with high quality and attention to detail while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
* Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for the job
* Ability and willingness to travel within the Chapter territory to attend events, meet with constituents, and provide live update as needed