Care Navigator - US Pointer Study
The Alzheimer's Association U.S. Study to Protect Brain Health Through Lifestyle Intervention to Reduce Risk (U.S. POINTER) is a two-year clinical trial to evaluate whether lifestyle interventions that simultaneously target many risk factors protect cognitive function in older adults who are at increased risk for cognitive decline. U.S. POINTER is the first such study to be conducted in a large group of Americans across the United States. This is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for both participants and researchers.
Why join us? We have been recognized as a Best Nonprofit to Work For by the Nonprofit Times nine consecutive years and offer a great mission, excellent benefits and a positive, engaging work culture.
The U.S. POINTER Navigator will serve as the main liaison for study participants, providing support and management of assigned teams and serving as coach to participants throughout the duration of the study. This role is crucial to participant engagement and retention and will require regular contact and oversight of participant study-related activities.
This position may be remote, but is based in the Metropolitan Chicago area. Navigators will be required to visit the Alzheimer’s Association office several times a month, as needed, as part of their employment.
Additional travel by road within a defined geographical area in the state of North Carolina will be required and reimbursed per the travel policies of the Alzheimer’s Association.
Duration of Position
This is a full time, fully benefited, grant-funded position that is expected to run through the end of calendar year 2020.
* Work with study participants to engage and encourage participants to continue their intervention activities
* Facilitate participants’ use of computer technology including wearable activity tracking devices and computer-based training
* Work with clinic intervention specialists to maximize participants’ experience.
The Navigator must possess the ability to engage participants, be highly-organized and have a background in motivational interviewing and group facilitation. Preference will be given to applicants that have experience in one or more areas of the study’s interventions (i.e. physical activity, nutrition or cognitive training). The Navigator should be able to engage and encourage participants to continue their intervention activities, whether in both intervention groups. Additionally, the Navigator must be proficient at facilitating participants’ use of computer technology, such as wearable activity tracking devices, computer-based training, Bluetooth connectivity, smartphones, messaging (e.g., SMS, email), and web-based data entry and communication. The Navigator is expected to be a knowledgeable, constituent friendly, responsible and diplomatic representative of the Alzheimer’s Association with the study participants, researchers and community in general.
Education & Experience & Other Requirements:
* Bachelor’s degree in psychology, social work, sociology or related field required. Advanced degree in community counseling preferred.
* 2 - 3 years’ experience with prevention based counseling, motivational interviewing, or short-term, cognitive behavioral counseling preferred.
* Experience in health promotion at a community level and past experience engaging diverse populations is highly desired.
* Must have a high degree of familiarity with current computer technologies due to the nature of the data being collected through the study and the means by which it's being collected (e.g., web browsers, Bluetooth, wearable activity monitors, smartphones).
* Proficiency in MS Office applications required, with the ability to quickly learn Google applications.
* Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
* Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed
* Ability to travel frequently throughout the assigned territory
* Access to reliable vehicle, valid driver's license, good driving record and proof of automobile insurance required
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3534