Associate Director, Strategic Communications
This position is based in the Home Office in downtown Chicago, IL and reports to the Director, Strategic Communications.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Demonstrates leadership as a member of a creative team that develops mission-focused materials and content for the general public and key constituents, including individuals living with Alzheimer’s, family caregivers, physicians and direct care providers, and researchers and donors.
- Participates in and leads creative meetings, bringing a strategic and thoughtful perspective to the client; manages cross-departmental projects from inception through finished product, including rounds of approval through multiple channels.
- Identifies the need to meet one-on-one and in groups with colleagues to brainstorm; gathers information; presents ideas; follows through on specific assignments without prompting.
- Serves as a fully proficient and creative writer, creating concise and engaging copy. Ability to learn about and transfer complex subject matter into copy for mass-market audiences. Adept at problem-solving and managing conflicting edits and opinions.
- Models, supports and implements the Alzheimer's Association brand, maintaining integrity and consistency throughout all communications.
- Edits and proofreads others’ copy following and modeling AP Stylebook and in-house style guide.
- Reviews copy within design and makes productive suggestions to extend the brand voice while maintaining or improving design elements.
- Builds and maintains relationships with internal clients in order to better understand and meet their content marketing needs; looks for opportunities to guide content strategically.
- Helps to identify necessary across-the-board updates to established Association content and style.
- Other projects as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English, health communications, marketing or related discipline.
- 5-7 years progressive, professional experience in agency; VHO or health care; corporate communication or other in-house creative department; marketing communications agency.
- Strong, clear communicator able to build positive, effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Creative, self-motivated problem solver.
- Able to multitask and adjust quickly to changing priorities to meet client and department needs. A proactive thinker who anticipates next steps.
- Ability and willingness to provide a portfolio of work: published articles in organizational newsletters, emails, website copy, marketing materials, etc.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for the job.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally as needed for the job.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite.
- Proficiency with AP Style.
Job Reference #: 2835