Associate Director, Strategic Communications
The Associate Director, Strategic Communications manages marketing and communications projects from start to finish and oversees content development to reach target audiences and support the organization’s national brand. Assignments will vary and include the creation and management of content for key initiatives, programs, direct marketing, constituent fundraising events, conferences and feature stories. They will collaborate on the content/creative design process and may also manage internal staff and external resources (freelancers and vendors) as they develop content and design elements. This position is critical to defining the Association’s mission to various target audiences and serves a strategic role in ensuring consistency in Association messaging and branding.
This position is based at the Home Office in downtown Chicago, IL and reports to the Director, Strategic Communications.
Essential Job Functions:
* Demonstrates leadership as a member of a creative team that develops mission-focused materials and content for the general public and key constituents, including individuals living with Alzheimer’s, family caregivers, physicians and direct care providers, and researchers and donors.
* Participates in and leads creative meetings, bringing a strategic and thoughtful perspective to the client; manages cross-departmental projects from inception through finished product, including rounds of approval through multiple channels.
* Identifies the need to meet one-on-one and in groups with colleagues to brainstorm; gathers information; presents ideas; follows through on specific assignments without prompting.
* Serves as a fully proficient and creative writer, creating concise and engaging copy. Ability to learn about and transfer complex subject matter into copy for mass-market audiences. Adept at problem-solving and managing conflicting edits and opinions.
* Models, supports and implements the Alzheimer's Association brand, maintaining integrity and consistency throughout all communications.
* Edits and proofreads others’ copy following and modeling AP Stylebook and in-house style guide.
* Reviews copy within design and makes productive suggestions to extend the brand voice while maintaining or improving design elements.
* Builds and maintains relationships with internal clients in order to better understand and meet their content marketing needs; looks for opportunities to guide content strategically.
* Helps to identify necessary across-the-board updates to established Association content and style.
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English, health communications, marketing or related discipline
* 5-7 years of experience in agency, VHO or health care corporate communication or other in-house creative department; marketing communications agency preferred
* Demonstrated leadership and project management skills
* Ability to multitask and adjust quickly to changing priorities to meet client and department needs
* Strategic, proactive thinker able to anticipates next steps
* Collaborative, inclusive communicator able to develop and maintain effective and positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
* Clear, concise, engaging writing skills; familiarity with AP Style preferred
* Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for the job
Job Reference #: 3207