Associate Director, Internal Communications
The Associate Director, Internal Communications acts as intranet editor in chief (EIC) and contributes to the strategic direction for the Association’s intranet - a key tool for internal communications. The EIC works closely with a variety of internal stakeholders to drive adoption of the intranet, strategize on future direction of the intranet and provide editorial oversight for the platform. The EIC supports, guides and trains contributors and users to ensure best practices are followed. Additionally, the EIC will liaise with IT on the technical capabilities of the platform and collaborate with HR to meet employees’ communications needs. The EIC will report on platform metrics, identify potential enhancements and oversee the implementation of the future roadmap for the intranet.
This position reports to the Director, Internal Communications and is based in at the Alzheimer’s Association’s Home Office in downtown Chicago, IL.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works closely with the Director, Internal Communications to develop and implement internal communications strategies.
- Serves as editor in chief of intranet: writes, edits and publishes engaging content for the intranet and leverages digital media to educate and inspire employees.
- Identifies and implements opportunities to help connect employees in a collaborative way.
- Develops intranet strategy, manages intranet enhancements and maintains editorial calendar.
- Supports a team of content owners and authors across the Association to ensure that intranet content is consistent, clear and accessible, in alignment with intranet mission and goals. Works across divisions and locations demonstrating a collaborative, inclusive style. Embraces diversity of thought, background and experience to drive to the best communications outcome.
- Manages the governance strategy for the intranet and work closely with the intranet workgroup to manage and enforce the intranet content policy and to deliver on planned future roadmap.
- Regularly tracks and evaluates success metrics and adjusts plans accordingly; provides reports to relevant stakeholders.
- Assists in the development and delivery of CEO and executive messages; all other internal communications projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Exceptional communicator with superior journalistic and business writing skills, preferably with real-world journalism or employee communications experience
- Collaborative spirit with the ability to work positively and inclusively to influence stakeholders and drive alignment across all levels and functions.
- Core understanding of editorial planning and content management systems (CMS) or working on an intranet site.
- Passion and willingness to learn and adopt the latest communications trends, strategies, platforms, technologies, tools and techniques to improve communications effectiveness.
- Adept at communicating in innovative ways with measurable results.
- Ability to be resourceful, think on feet and exercise sound judgement to identify and present potential solutions.
- Basic knowledge of HTML and some experience in design software and web implementation tools (e.g., Photoshop)
- Fundamental understanding of capabilities of different web browsers (desktop and mobile) and design constraints of the web.
- Ability, willingness and aptitude to learn new software and techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, English, Marketing, or a related field.
- 5-7 years’ progressive experience in intranet/web content management and creation (including writing and editing), corporate communications, marketing communications, public relations, social media or a related field.
- 2-3 years’ experience in project management; keen planning and organizational skills to maintain project deadlines without sacrificing quality
- Superior English-language editorial and writing skills; strong editorial judgement
- Strong interpersonal skills to build positive and effective relationships with diverse colleagues and stakeholders at all levels.
- Ability to multitask and quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Strategic, proactive thinker able to anticipate next steps and new opportunities
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends as needed for the job
Job Reference #: 3604