Associate Director, Digital Content
Job Title: Associate Director, Digital Content – Home Office
Location: Chicago, IL
Full time Based on a 37.5 hour work week
Reports To: Director, Digital Content & Creative
Who We Are:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Our mission is to lead the way to end Alzheimer's and all other dementia - by accelerating global research, driving risk reduction and early detection, and maximizing quality care and support.
At the Alzheimer’s Association, our employees are at the core of all we do. Our network of more than 1,700 employees across the United States makes a difference each and every day for those impacted by Alzheimer’s and those at risk for the disease.
We warmly invite qualified applicants to consider this opportunity to make a life changing impact on the millions living with Alzheimer’s, their caregivers and those that may be diagnosed with the disease in the future. Read on to learn more about the role, then visit our website www.alz.org/jobs to find out more about who we are and why we've been recognized as a Best Place to Work the last eleven years in a row.
The Alzheimer’s Association is looking for an experienced content guru to join our digital creative team. This is a role where content strategy, information architecture, editorial development and nonprofit communications come together. Apply if you are passionate about making a difference and shaping digital content.
In addition to managing overall digital strategy to improve user experience and content consumption on alz.org, this position is responsible for the day-to-day creation and iteration of content.
The ideal candidate understands best practices, keeps up on industry trends and is interested in what’s next for digital content. The Associate Director creates effective web copy based on viewer behavior, analytics, SEO, accessibility and other requirements. The candidate also has the ability to organize information across a large-scale digital content ecosystem with multiple public sites.
This full-time employee is based in downtown Chicago and reports to the Director of Digital Content & Creative. But like other employees, this role will work remotely during the pandemic.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create new digital content as well as repurpose print and other source material for web
- Shape content strategy to support our mission pillars and to ensure content is found at point-of-need for multiple audiences
- Plan strategic content iteration through the lifespan of conferences, programs, fundraising events and initiatives
- Develop and evolve direction documents for designers and developers
- Manage communication, feedback and approvals with stakeholders
- Include QA and testing as part of the content development process before publication
- Work with user research, UX, visual design and developers to create engaging solutions that connect with users
- Review and interpret data to inform recommendations and strategies
- Audit and refresh alz.org to maintain user-centric content
- Proactively identify areas for improvement based on user needs and/or engagement opportunities, and work into overall schedule
- Develop and maintain documentation for governing alz.org, including sitemap, ownership matrix, process and policies
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Library Science, Communications, Marketing or a related field
- 5-7 years' progressive experience defining, developing and evolving digital content
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- An interest in the written word, language and storytelling on a digital platform
- A strong writer, editor and leader comfortable owning decisions and projects
- Demonstrated ability to create and iterate on macro and micro content strategies
- Experience compiling inventories, audits, matrices and content strategy documentation
- Experience leading small-scale site migrations, including information architecture and content mapping
- Expertise in SEO and analytics to drive decisions and optimize content
- Experience working within a content management system (we use Kentico)
- Highly organized, motivated and detail oriented with ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to collaborate with people at all levels of the organization
- Proficient in AP Style
- Team player and goal-oriented – we are highly collaborative!
- Working knowledge of CMS and HTML is helpful but not required
- Experience working with nonprofits and / or health-related information is a plus
Employees working 24 hours/week or more are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, flex accounts, short and long-term disability, life insurance, long term care insurance, tuition reimbursement, generous Paid Time Off, 12 annual holidays and Paid Family Leave, as well as an annual Cultural & Heritage Day and Volunteer Day of their choosing. They are also eligible for our gold standard 401(k) retirement plan.
Full time employees (37.5 hours/week), will enjoy all of the above plus an annual School Visitation Day and an Elder Care Facility Day of their choosing.
The Alzheimer’s Association is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and provides consideration for an employment relationship without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, genetic predisposition, national origin, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.