The Advocacy Manager is responsible for recruiting, training and managing volunteers for the Chapter’s advocacy efforts. This position will mobilize volunteers to participate in advocacy activities to achieve department metrics, as well as work collaboratively with other departments to enhance advocate recruitment and relationship-building in all congressional districts and targeted state districts.
The Alzheimer’s Association actively engages federal and state elected officials through government relations work and through interactions with grassroots advocates. This position will focus on the advocacy side of the equation by recruiting constituents to serve as grassroots advocates to promote the Association’s policy priorities at both the federal and the state level. Based in Columbia, SC, this position requires travel within the state of South Carolina.
Essential Job Functions
- Recruit, train, and engage volunteer advocates within the state, increasing the number of advocates and levels of participation in federal and state policy effort.
- Mobilize Ambassadors and Alzheimer’s Congressional Team Members to engage with members of Congress and their staff (through office visits, community encounters, Association events, social media and earned media) to achieve Strategic Plan goal for federal advocacy activities.
- Recruit, organize and accompany advocates to attend the annual AIM Advocacy Forum in Washington, DC.
- Plan and implement logistics for engaging federal elected officials through Chapter-hosted Town Hall meetings, Coffee with Constituents or other Association events
- Collaborate with Director of State Policy to:
- Develop and implement state advocacy plan aligned with state policy priorities.
- Recruit and mobilize advocates as State Champions for key state legislators to achieve Strategic Plan goal for state advocacy activities.
- Plan and implement annual State House Day.
- Write and deploy state action alerts and advocacy updates using Luminate Online and Phone2Action.
- Develop clear and consistent communication with advocates, including Ambassadors, Alzheimer’s Congressional Team members, and State Champions.
- Assist Ambassadors and Alzheimer’s Congressional Team members with coordination of team planning meetings 1-2 time per year.
- Ensure that advocates track their state and federal engagement activities through alzimpact.org.
- Assist advocates with meeting requests and letter-to-the-editor campaigns.
- Assist in implementing year-round integration of advocacy with other organizational events including Walk to End Alzheimer’s and The Longest Day.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of AIM (Alzheimer’s Impact Movement) annual memberships.
- Mobilize advocates to make Alzheimer’s an important issue in Presidential campaign activities as candidates stump in our early primary state.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration, or a related field of study required.
- 1-3 year’s work/volunteer experience in public policy, grassroots community organizing, or volunteer management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate in-person, by phone, and through written communication with diverse populations.
- Keen analytical skills to conduct research, stay abreast of legislative activity, and recognize and communicate new opportunities for advocacy.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and mobilize volunteers.
- Strong organizational skills to multi-task in a fast-paced and fluid environment.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30% within the state by car. Travel in this case, is considered time spent away from the office, in the community, to fulfill the job goals. While most such travel is same day, occasional overnight travel or air travel may be required.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as required for the job.
- Strong computer skills, proficient with Microsoft Office products, Google suite and social media.
- Experience with, or ability to rapidly learn, constituent management tools such as Luminate Online and Phone2Action.
Job Reference #: 3692