AD, Conference Services
Position requirements include but are not limited to site selection and managing logistics for 30 meetings per year, including the association’s national conference. Responsibilities include researching and recommending meeting venues, negotiating hotel contracts, creating space reports based on contractual terms, preparing detailed meeting specifications, managing food and beverage requirements, room blocks, housing, and travel logistics. Additional responsibilities include budgetary management, working with outside vendors for audio visual, catering, and other equipment rentals. The position will take a leadership role in the management of the Advocacy Forum, sponsor related satellite symposia and ancillary meetings for the association’s international conference.
This position is located in Chicago, IL and reports to the Vice President of Global Conferences & Events.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Research and recommend cities and venues for meetings with 10 - 1000 attendees.
* Manage and coordinate all logistics arrangements for meetings of 10 - 1000 from conception to closing .
* Manage and negotiate contracts ensuring appropriate room blocks and industry language is reflected
* Negotiate vendor contracts
* Prepare detailed meeting specifications to hotels to include room set-ups, food and beverage requirements, program schedules and audiovisual requests.
* Manage housing reservations for staff and faculty while closely monitoring room pick-ups.
* Conduct site visits and prepare reports on site recommendations
* Reconcile all meeting related invoices for accuracy and process for payment within 30 days of close of program
* Prepare and monitor cost estimates, budgets, work plans and status reports.
* Manage Advocacy Forum, Board meetings, sponsor related satellite symposia and ancillary meetings for the association’s international conference.
* Ability to be detail oriented, work independently and in a team environment
* Manage and prioritize multiple projects with multiple deadlines
* Bachelor of Arts degree
* 5 years of experience in meeting planning or hotel industry
* Must possess strong hotel contract and vendor negotiation skills
* Ability to demonstrate knowledge of RFP preparation, meeting specification writing
* Must have excellent customer service skills, organizational, and communications skills (written and verbal).
* Strong budget management skills.
* Experience with Microsoft Office applications especially Word and Excel; working knowledge of ACCESS databases.
* Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) a plus (or able to obtain in 12 months)
* Must be able work independently and in a team environment with minimal supervision
* Must be able to manage multiple clients
* Must be able to set priorities and complete projects on time and on budget
* Long hours and weekend work will be necessary around key meeting times.
* Ability to travel domestically and internationally (often over weekends), 5-8 times per year.
* Ability to work weekends and work long hours (12-15 hour days) when required
* Ability to communicate effectively with clients and department staff in person and on the telephone.
* Ability to respond to request quickly to resolve logistical problems
* Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
* Ability to interact tactfully and effectively with a wide variety of individuals
* Ability to bend and lift heavy boxes (up to 25 pounds)
Job Reference #: 3756